What coral would you recommend for a beginner?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start with a kenya tree or finger leather. Those are likely the easiest to care for, are pretty hardy, and are really interesting to watch in the water. Next would likely be many other softies including green star polyps, yellow polyps, discomas, and the rest of the leather family (toadstool, etc.). After that, I'd move on to zoanthids.

OP
OP
G

Gordy69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start with a kenya tree or finger leather. Those are likely the easiest to care for, are pretty hardy, and are really interesting to watch in the water. Next would likely be many other softies including green star polyps, yellow polyps, discomas, and the rest of the leather family (toadstool, etc.). After that, I'd move on to zoanthids.
Im using a marineland light that came with my tank I bought from petsmart. Should I buy a new light before buying corals?

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

How mature of a tank do I need before moving on from only softies to simple LPS corals? Any leaps in equipment?
I think I was between 2 to 3 moths before I added my first and it was lps duncan followed by some Leathers and xenia then more lps I don't think matters to much its sps that need more maturity

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

How mature of a tank do I need before moving on from only softies to simple LPS corals? Any leaps in equipment?
You could honestly keep lps pretty easily right off the bat. Things like Duncan's and hammer corals are pretty hardy when it comes to parameters and lighting. For example I've kept a few hammers in lower lighting in a dirty tank with success and I've also kept them in a relatively clean tank with higher lighting with success.

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with some soft corals like florida ricordea mushrooms, zoanthids, and violet cespularia. If you want to try things like pulsing xenia or green star polyp keep in mind they spread like weeds once established so keep them isolated.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supporting what’s already been said - I was advised, by my LFS, to start with Green Star Polyps, Xenia, Duncan’s and Leathers. All going great - the Xenia has to be regularly trimmed and is on its only ‘island’ too.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Thanks for letting me know. The soft corals you mentioned, except Zoanthids, are some I have in mind. Basically Mushrooms and Leathers with a colony of isolated GSP, maybe Pulsing Xenia. Glad to know the simpler LPS corals can go in early. I’ll be keeping that in mind. Think I’ll start off with Hammer and Duncans.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 76.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back