Getting Started.

TankerRaph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up everyone? Looking to get started on a small salt water tank. 20gal. Looking to do some corals and live rocks. What do yall recommend for a beginner?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up everyone? Looking to get started on a small salt water tank. 20gal. Looking to do some corals and live rocks. What do yall recommend for a beginner?

My first recommendation is to ask yourself exactly what you want to keep in the tank, and then design your system around that question.

So, what exactly would you like to see in your tank?

OP
OP
T

TankerRaph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first recommendation is to ask yourself exactly what you want to keep in the tank, and then design your system around that question.

So, what exactly would you like to see in your tank?
I like the corals. The glow. That’s why I am looking to start small and see how maintaining them is. I have a 110 and a 55 gallon fresh water at the moment.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum.

The best place to start is by reading this and then coming back and asking any specific questions you still have and there will probably be plenty!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the corals. The glow. That’s why I am looking to start small and see how maintaining them is. I have a 110 and a 55 gallon fresh water at the moment.

Starting small makes sense, but not in this hobby.

Being new to salt water, you may find that you are getting big chemistry swings, which is a common problem for people entering in to the saltwater arena.

The Rule: The bigger the tank, the more subtle the chemistry swings.

I would suggest that you start with a 40 gallon breeder. It is a good size, which will make chemistry swings more subtle.

Also the dimensions of the tank are large enough for you to do interesting rock-scapes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back