What Corals and where to put them ?

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I went to my lfs today and I have ordered a light for my marine tank it will be ready for pickup in about a weeks time and i cant remember the name but the guy at the lfs said it was new and had an app that it connects to I will pay £199 for it I have a 80L ( 22gal) tank and wondering what corals I could have ( nothing with risk of palytoxin or anything invasive ) and where to put them
Any help is appreciated

57001210-6332-46AB-AAD5-9DD5BB8BB1EF.jpeg A877B5E9-0AF7-4AED-8B2C-522AB0A747E4.jpeg 2BBFAF9C-0D56-456C-BFEF-48A1B1DBC98D.jpeg

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd take that rock on the right and make it a zoa garden for now. They're very easy and your tank is very new. See how some cheap ones do.

I'd also take a small rock, get some GSP and throw it on that rock isolated from the others. It is so cheap! Green star polyps are known to grow on any rock they touch, so definitely keep it isolated. It will definitely give your tank some nice color and movement for sure. I have some expensive corals in my tank and people come over and are immediately attracted to the GSP oddly enough. Throw a fist sized rock in front of the left or right rocks you have in there now. Would look amazing.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most experienced reefers will scoff at this, but I really like the look of pulsing xenia. From my research, you will want to isolate it like the Green Star Polyps (as mentioned above). My understanding is it will quickly take over anything its placed on.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I went to my lfs today and I have ordered a light for my marine tank it will be ready for pickup in about a weeks time and i cant remember the name but the guy at the lfs said it was new and had an app that it connects to I will pay £199 for it I have a 80L ( 22gal) tank and wondering what corals I could have ( nothing with risk of palytoxin or anything invasive ) and where to put them. Any help is appreciated

57001210-6332-46AB-AAD5-9DD5BB8BB1EF.jpeg A877B5E9-0AF7-4AED-8B2C-522AB0A747E4.jpeg 2BBFAF9C-0D56-456C-BFEF-48A1B1DBC98D.jpeg
Judging from the colour of the rock and the lack of algae, I’d say your tank is still pretty new and also the lack of lighting would be a factor in the lack of algae. I’d go with the recommendations so far which is starting with hardier softies (mushrooms, star polyps, xenia). Maybe start with a gsp first and watch its progression. If it does well, you can gradually introduce some zoas and mushrooms. Try to resist adding any stonies (lps or sps) until you start seeing coralline. Coralline is not a must but is generally an indicator that your tank is stable and of a certain degree of maturity (interms of establishment of beneficial microbes in your rockwork and sand).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging from the colour of the rock and the lack of algae, I’d say your tank is still pretty new and also the lack of lighting would be a factor in the lack of algae. I’d go with the recommendations so far which is starting with hardier softies (mushrooms, star polyps, xenia). Maybe start with a gsp first and watch its progression. If it does well, you can gradually introduce some zoas and mushrooms. Try to resist adding any stonies (lps or sps) until you start seeing coralline. Coralline is not a must but is generally an indicator that your tank is stable and of a certain degree of maturity (interms of establishment of beneficial microbes in your rockwork and sand).
Ok I will thanks !

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd take that rock on the right and make it a zoa garden for now. They're very easy and your tank is very new. See how some cheap ones do.

I'd also take a small rock, get some GSP and throw it on that rock isolated from the others. It is so cheap! Green star polyps are known to grow on any rock they touch, so definitely keep it isolated. It will definitely give your tank some nice color and movement for sure. I have some expensive corals in my tank and people come over and are immediately attracted to the GSP oddly enough. Throw a fist sized rock in front of the left or right rocks you have in there now. Would look amazing.
That sound like a good idea thanks !

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer to have 0% risk of palsy toxin what corals don’t have a risk of that ?

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer to have 0% risk of palsy toxin what corals don’t have a risk of that ?
The corals well known for palytoxins are Zoas and Palythoas. Leathers emit terpenoids which don’t really affect us but may stun other corals growth. As far as I know, most of the other corals (softies, lps, sps) aren’t know for their palytoxin toxicity. So you could just avoid the zoas and palys. Just a note, not all zoas emit palytoxins it’s is just hard to distinguish which ones do and which ones don’t.

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to minimize your concern or the risks, but you’ll find most stories involving palytoxin poisoning involve grave mishandling and ignorance of the danger (i.e. fragging without eye protection/with open cuts on hands, boiling live rock with zoa colonies on them.) They carry toxins but it’s not like they’re making the water unsafe. They’re some of the easiest and most beautiful corals you can have. In a tank like yours, you’re just going to glue them to a rock and never touch them again. It would be a shame to avoid them altogether. Still, it’s your tank so do what you’re comfortable with. There’s certainly plenty of other options.

Back