What Corals Will a Flame Hawk Eat?

johnnyphish

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 3, 2020
Messages
55
Reaction score
13
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been informed that flame hawk fish are risky additions to reef aquariums. In particular, some seem to like LPS. Wondering if there are any corals they stay away from? Perhaps zoas and palys? Perhaps other soft corals? I am converting a 35 gal into a slightly "dirty" macro tank, and I'd like to add some corals if they have a good shot at not getting ravaged by my flame hawk fish. Thanks!
 
Never heard of this, my flame hawk didn't touch any soft coral or LPS (I didn't have any SPS). They're known to go for your small inverts/shrimp though.
 
Have had several throughout the years. Never touched any type of coral.
 
I've been informed that flame hawk fish are risky additions to reef aquariums. In particular, some seem to like LPS. Wondering if there are any corals they stay away from? Perhaps zoas and palys? Perhaps other soft corals? I am converting a 35 gal into a slightly "dirty" macro tank, and I'd like to add some corals if they have a good shot at not getting ravaged by my flame hawk fish. Thanks!
They are carnivores mine never cared about corals but devoured a shrimp as long as he was
 
They will eat ornamental shrimp if added after them and some specimens will actively hunt them if you already have them. They don’t eat or harm corals.
^This. They are often said to be not reef safe because they will eat shrimp. They should not bother corals specifically.
 
Thanks everyone. Very consistent information in these replies.
 
I've been informed that flame hawk fish are risky additions to reef aquariums. In particular, some seem to like LPS. Wondering if there are any corals they stay away from? Perhaps zoas and palys? Perhaps other soft corals? I am converting a 35 gal into a slightly "dirty" macro tank, and I'd like to add some corals if they have a good shot at not getting ravaged by my flame hawk fish. Thanks!
Since I’d like a hawk eventually, that’s good to keep in mind. I’ve never heard of them going after a coral directly, but I’ve seen them perch on one and irritate it into retracting.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new