What corals will keep zoa's at bay?

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I put a Tyree Orange rainbow frag in my tank a couple of months ago and boy is it taking of...the polyps are pretty big and it is approaching my millepora quick.

Will they kill my milli? And what corals can I use to keep them at bay? Will acans or blastos work? Other suggestions also welcome.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blastos or Acans don’t seem to stop anything, maybe Blastos a little. Rock nems do, but Chalices can, but mine got overrun. Many reefers use separate rocks for each coral to control warfare. There’s no list, or much of anything to give real info, but corals with long sweepers tend to keep Zoas at bay

OP
OP
Nikita1981

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Does anybody know if zoa's and acans can co exist nicely?. I would like to keep them on the same rock. And how about ricordea's?

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ricordias will attack and win in most cases I’ve seen, they killed part of any branch from a Birdsnest that touched them. Also, my Monti’s and Chalices were affected by the sting of a Ricordia, turned white and was removed to another part of the DT. But the Birdsnest is keeping the Zoas at bay. But some Zoas have taken over other Zoas. Encrusting corals, like the War coral can take over a rock. Mushrooms should be placed on rocks away from or touching other rocks. And Mushrooms can grow anywhere, like tube worms.
It’s kinda funny.........we try so hard to make Our corals grow, and when things are perfect, they grow and grow, but now how do I control it!!! Here’s a few pics

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, Blastos get along with Blastos, Acans with Acans, Leathers with Leathers. Acros attack, especially tabling ones.

OP
OP
Nikita1981

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks really nice. For now I want focus on corals that can act as a natural boundary for zoa's. Corals that are agressive enough to hold their ground next to zoa's but not kill them.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a monti that seems to keep them off of it. it has zoas all around it but they never climb up onto it and it seems fine. good coloration and growth.

OP
OP
Nikita1981

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are creeping in on a milli as we speak....can the milli stand it's ground or should I move it?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back