What did I get with my "clean" Chaeto?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is trust. Algae Barn's chaeto was considered safe then apparently they've had some cross contamination now. This isn't the first time something has come in on their "clean" chaeto. Do I trust that Battlecorals can avoid contamination from other systems? NTY, I'd rather get some for free from a local reefer and quarantine it like anything else.

Agreed it comes down to trust. I trust BC, haven't gotten any pests from coral orders, but have not ordered chaeto as I already have some. Can't beat seeing something in person though before you take it home :)

Is a freshwater dip sufficient to clean macro or is QT actually needed? My guess is a coral dip will kill the algae?

OP
OP
matthias_bln

matthias_bln

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you here said it is a trust issue. Finding something in your "clean" chaeto without any doubt (as it is a new bare bottom DT tank without livestock or liverock which just finished cycling) is a headache and makes me doubt my decision to have bought where I bought.

Putting the hitchhiker into a QT tank with existing corals means we're getting into a blurry area. I can't know whether the nem is hiding somewhere else and have simply drawn my conclusion by seeing an aiptasia very close to where the nem disappeared from the cup with slots. The QT tank however has definitely no crazy aiptasia infestation. Over the last 5 months I've spotted and remove one about a month ago (see here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...terina-starfish-aiptasia.708225/#post-7313440) and have not seen any additional ones until this morning.

So, please don't draw the firm conclusion that AlgaeBarn sent me Aiptasia. However, they definitely sent me something I didn't pay for and which causes me headaches and costs time and money.

I'll pull the Chaeto and will likely put it into it's own QT for now.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah the first picture is totally different than the aiptasia.

Did you find the "creature" on the first pic?

OP
OP
matthias_bln

matthias_bln

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah the first picture is totally different than the aiptasia.

Did you find the "creature" on the first pic?

See my prior post - I will keep on the lookout but haven't found anything unknown or surprising other than the aiptasia. If the Chaeto would not have come with a hitchhiker I would not have posted this thread at all. The take-away should be "something annoying came with it" rather than "aiptasia came with it".

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my prior post - I will keep on the lookout but haven't found anything unknown or surprising other than the aiptasia. If the Chaeto would not have come with a hitchhiker I would not have posted this thread at all. The take-away should be "something annoying came with it" rather than "aiptasia came with it".

The way it's marketed, anything other than just chaeto and water is surprising to see.

"AlgaeBarn Clean Chaeto is treated, quarantined, and kept in its own system to remove any unwanted parasites, and hitchhikers."

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Scrape off with an old credit card and discard into toilet

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, it's not really relevant. It come with some type of anemone in it. That's for sure. And this isn't the first thread I've seen of "clean" chaeto coming in with something. That said, AlgaeBarn has excellent customer service and I'm sure will take care of you.

I really hope it works out for OP! I had the opposite experience with them, multiple problems and unsatisfactory resolution.

Will algae barn repay him if aptasia takes over his tank because of it though?

Maybe they'll send some Peppermint Shrimp if that happens :)

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redacted

Last edited:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae barns says the same thing they guarantee it.

Yet, OP still got something with their chaeto:) Makes me think of Tommy Boy!

1588966474304.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back