What did reefing teach you?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allow me to start; reefing taught us all patience and that nothing good comes quickly.
Reefing also taught me that in order to reach and maintain your goal you need to keep working, every time I look at my tank and say oh wow it looks perfect and I think I reached my goal. I would encounter some sort of algael bloom or a parameter swing that would set me weeks or months back, simply because I thought that I am just too good.
I have a clown that would keep drawing blood out of my hands in my nano, once I upgraded the tank and moved him to the larger tank. He faced someone "of his own size"; my purple tang which would keep bullying him. This taught me to treat people the same way I would like them to treat me, because whatever you do to them good or bad someone, someday will do it to you.
I learnt to never compare my tank to others, every tank is unique, and to be grateful for what I have because the blessings that I have, others might not have them.
so what did reefing teach you?

Last edited:

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That this hobby is one of the most difficult hobbies I’ve ever picked up. It’s been a heck of a lot of hard work so far, I’m still less than a year in. If you want your reef to be successful it’s going to take dedication. So many times I’ve thought about giving up. GHA will break out, and I’ll feel like I’m winning and then BAM. Cyano. And then something else, and something else.

But it’s worth it.

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing is like keeping a tiny Biome alive- it is a great Balancing Act, and far more difficult than any other hobby I have acquired. You are Constantly Learning, and having to make adjustments. It requires knowledge about so much more than just what is In our tanks. Patience is Key. I would say Reefing has taught me the most to not overreact, and to observe. It doesn’t just take Patience, it will teach you that.

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learnt how to live with disappointment eg losing a fish or coral, build up of cyano (worst thing ever), realising that I can't put my dream fish in with what I have and seeing my bank statement at the end of the month!!!

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It taught me that the hobby can be very expensive.
I realized that the hobby is actually easier, not as time consuming as the numerous so called urban legends out there had me believe.
Reefing also taught me that their is such diversity, beauty, synergy, competition and ware fare (ie. Chemical, Nematocysts and sweeper tentacles).
There is a fine line between maintaining a success reef aquarium and having algae bloom explosions to a total tank wipeout.
Nothing good happens fast.
Reefing has taught me that there is still so much to learn and comprehend about chemistry, biology and the hobby in general.
Reefing has taught me that it can be a very rewarding, enjoyable, entertaining, beautiful and amazing hobby with such a diverse abundance of fish, inverts and corals that can coexist in an aquarium for years.
Lastly, reefing has taught me how global warming, pollution, detrimental cyanide poisoning and blasting ( to supply the saltwater hobby) in parts of the world, over collecting, boat anchors and careless scuba and snorkel divers all can disrupt the delicate marine biotope and equilibrium.
Education, awareness, compassion and the reliance upon buying captive livestock and less wild specimens will help to ensure our reefs can be enjoyed today, tomorrow and for many years to come.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 3rd round at it knowledge would be the key. 1st one green hair algea . 2nd one red flat worms 3rd I am through the uglys and doing
20220611_184439.jpg
good.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have replaced everything 3 times I could have bought a new corvette what can you afford. Do you feel like you can move a mountain?
I can't afford a new corvette (maybe a toy one for the fish)... :grinning-squinting-face:

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
This has been said many times already but I genuinely mean it, not that nobody else does..

1. Patience

If a week goes by and I see the miliiepora encrusting a tenth of a inch more on the rock , I’m smiling

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back