What do Chamberlain Nudibranchs eat?

Nickk2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so this is my first post on R2R, so let me know if i am doing something wrong, anyways, I recently got this Chamberlain Nudibranch, and the lfs said they eat sponges, I looked into it, and it said that some sea slugs only eat one certain species of sponge. Do these ones eat pineapple sponges? (this photo is not mine)

image_2024-05-07_171250414.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

These guys are unusual for dorid nudibranchs in that they actually feed on tunicates, not on sponges (your LFS was actually closer to accurate about the diet than most I've heard of selling nudibranchs though).

They don't seem to terribly selective as far as which tunicates they eat, so these ones may potentially be able to be kept if you can grow out some invasive tunicates fast enough.

Since you likely don't already have a large amount of fast growing, colonial tunicates (which would likely require a healthy amount of phytoplankton to grow), though, I expect your nudibranch will slowly starve to death - sorry.

If you want to try and save/keep it, you can buy tunicates from a variety of places, but the only species I'm aware of that is sold at the moment that might be able to grow fast enough is the Golden Star Tunicate, Botryllus schlosseri:
Golden Star Tunicates are highly invasive, but they tend to prefer colder water - I can go into the specific methods of feeding and culturing these if you'd like, but it takes a few weeks for them to really start growing, and you'd need quite a large colony to provide enough food for your nudibranch long-term.

Anyway, for some more specific info on their diet and to see a number of different tunicates that they may feed on, see the links below:
As a couple final words of advice:

1 - most nudibranchs are virtually literally impossible for us to keep at this point as we cannot realistically meet their dietary needs (sourcing and intentionally culturing enough of the nudibranch's needed food - especially when that food is a sponge, which are notoriously difficult to even maintain, let alone grow out - is not feasible for most nudibranchs); I would strongly discourage buying them at this point as a result. Hopefully we'll get to the point where we can responsibly keep nudibranchs in the future, but we're definitely not there yet.

2 - while your LFS was closer to accurate than most, I wouldn't expect an LFS to give good advice (and selling nudibranchs - assuming they purposefully ordered them and didn't just find one in their shipment - is a red flag to me that they're acting irresponsibly for sales), so please take what they tell you with a massive grain of salt.

OP
OP
Nickk2k

Nickk2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

These guys are unusual for dorid nudibranchs in that they actually feed on tunicates, not on sponges (your LFS was actually closer to accurate about the diet than most I've heard of selling nudibranchs though).

They don't seem to terribly selective as far as which tunicates they eat, so these ones may potentially be able to be kept if you can grow out some invasive tunicates fast enough.

Since you likely don't already have a large amount of fast growing, colonial tunicates (which would likely require a healthy amount of phytoplankton to grow), though, I expect your nudibranch will slowly starve to death - sorry.

If you want to try and save/keep it, you can buy tunicates from a variety of places, but the only species I'm aware of that is sold at the moment that might be able to grow fast enough is the Golden Star Tunicate, Botryllus schlosseri:
Golden Star Tunicates are highly invasive, but they tend to prefer colder water - I can go into the specific methods of feeding and culturing these if you'd like, but it takes a few weeks for them to really start growing, and you'd need quite a large colony to provide enough food for your nudibranch long-term.

Anyway, for some more specific info on their diet and to see a number of different tunicates that they may feed on, see the links below:

1 - most nudibranchs are virtually literally impossible for us to keep at this point as we cannot realistically meet their dietary needs (sourcing and intentionally culturing enough of the nudibranch's needed food - especially when that food is a sponge, which are notoriously difficult to even maintain, let alone grow out - is not feasible for most nudibranchs); I would strongly discourage buying them at this point as a result. Hopefully we'll get to the point where we can responsibly keep nudibranchs in the future, but we're definitely not there yet.

2 - while your LFS was closer to accurate than most, I wouldn't expect an LFS to give good advice (and selling nudibranchs - assuming they purposefully ordered them and didn't just find one in their shipment - is a red flag to me that they're acting irresponsibly for sales), so please take what they tell you with a massive grain of salt.
Thank you for the info! It's a shame that the LFS lied to me, and that this cute little sea slug will most likely starve. I will look into the tunicates though, they look nice. Also, is there any sea slugs that don't require weird food?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Excited Go Team GIF

OP
OP
Nickk2k

Nickk2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious, How much was that sea slug? Do you have a picture of it?
it was 30 dollars, here's a few pictures of it right now, sadly, my filefish that we are going to rehome bit off it's ears.

Attachments

• image_2024-05-07_202758901.png
    image_2024-05-07_202758901.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • image_2024-05-07_202812339.png
    image_2024-05-07_202812339.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 39

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look into the tunicates though, they look nice.
They are pretty, but I would strongly recommend either keeping them somewhere where you can easily control their spread from (like a lone rock separate from the rest of the rock in the tank) or in a completely separate tank if you want to keep them for ornamental reasons - they've been known to grow over and smother corals, macroalgae, etc. under good growing conditions for them, so you really want them to keep their distance from anything that doesn't move that you want to keep alive.
Also, is there any sea slugs that don't require weird food?
Yes, but - as a general rule - the prettier they are, the more difficult they are to keep. Some that have easier food requirements:

-Sea Hares (typically large but still short-lived)

-Bubble Snails (relatively hard to come by, though a couple of places occasionally sell them)

-"Lettuce Nudibranchs," A.K.A. Elysia spp. Sacoglossan/Solar-powered Slugs (their diets are heavily restricted to specific kinds of macroalgae, but some species have preferred macroalgae foods that can be grown relatively easily in a refugium - some Elysia species have even been aquacultured)

-Hooded Nudibranchs, A.KA. Melibe spp. nudibranchs (these are true nudibranchs, but they're actively predatory and prey on things like "pods" [copepods, amphipods, ostracods, etc.], larval crustaceans, etc. - the only one I see for sale regularly is the Lion's Mane Nudibranch, Melibe leonina, which is a coldwater/temperate species; so it likely wouldn't do well in a tropical tank).

OP
OP
Nickk2k

Nickk2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty, but I would strongly recommend either keeping them somewhere where you can easily control their spread from (like a lone rock separate from the rest of the rock in the tank) or in a completely separate tank if you want to keep them for ornamental reasons - they've been known to grow over and smother corals, macroalgae, etc. under good growing conditions for them, so you really want them to keep their distance from anything that doesn't move that you want to keep alive.

Yes, but - as a general rule - the prettier they are, the more difficult they are to keep. Some that have easier food requirements:

-Bubble Snails (relatively hard to come by, though a couple of places occasionally sell them)

-"Lettuce Nudibranchs," A.K.A. Elysia spp. Sacoglossan/Solar-powered Slugs (their diets are heavily restricted to specific kinds of macroalgae, but some species have preferred macroalgae foods that can be grown relatively easily in a refugium - some Elysia species have even been aquacultured)

-Hooded Nudibranchs, A.KA. Melibe spp. nudibranchs (these are true nudibranchs, but they're actively predatory and prey on things like "pods" [copepods, amphipods, ostracods, etc.], larval crustaceans, etc. - the only one I see for sale regularly is the Lion's Mane Nudibranch, Melibe leonina, which is a coldwater/temperate species; so it likely wouldn't do well in a tropical tank).
Thanks!

OP
OP
Nickk2k

Nickk2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, those hooded nudibranchs looks crazy, i might look into the care for one, and might even get one myself.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas
Does it matter that it's "ears" have been "bitten off", do they need that part to survive?
The "ears" shouldn't technically be necessary, but it may be hard for the nudibranch to find available food without them - the "ears" are actually called rhinophores, and they're chemosensory organs, so they essentially act as a sense of smell/taste to help them locate things in the water.

Given that any food likely needs to be added, as long as the OP can find the nudibranch in the tank, the lack of rhinophores shouldn't be an issue.

OP
OP
Nickk2k

Nickk2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "ears" shouldn't technically be necessary, but it may be hard for the nudibranch to find available food without them - the "ears" are actually called rhinophores, and they're chemosensory organs, so they essentially act as a sense of smell/taste to help them locate things in the water.

Given that any food likely needs to be added, as long as the OP can find the nudibranch in the tank, the lack of rhinophores shouldn't be an issue.
neat, i'm just going to hope that it will eat literally anything that is in the tank, and that the filefish dosent eat its rhinophores again

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 173 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.0%
Back