What do I have?

Antny12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

my tanks been up for about a month and a half-I’ve noticed that I’ve had a recent surge in algae cover on the rocks and bottom of tank. I can’t tell whether this is Cyno or Dino. I will be ordering some magnifying equipment to help get a better look but I will include some pictures with a single kessil on so you can get a generic idea. My parroters are all in check-
PH: 8.1
Salinity 1.024
78 F temp
0 nitrites
10ppm nitrates or so
0 phos
0 ammonia
Kh 11
Calcium was just dosed today as it was 360

I’ve used chem clean toda—added another powehead to increase flow. I’ve noticed the water isn’t crystal clear either. I took out my media bag of carbon. started doing 10% weekly water changes starting this past Sunday. Have an RO water system for top offs and water changes. I did add the purple/pink coral line about a month ago, and have been using micro-Bacter bright well and reef roids along with reef builder. I have a bio- brick in sump..I currently have black sponges in return section of sump as it doesn’t allow for filter socks (a trigger sump meant for a refegium.. going to try and get socks on there Sunday.

Any ideas?

404BAC9B-8E41-4614-991B-B672B551586A.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Antny12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot- I did make one big mistake. I mostly used new dry rock which is great however I did use some old live rock I had in a tub from a previous build that I didn’t clean-or treat SMH. But I can’t fix that now.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 week tank and using chemi-clean already? Seems a bit drastic for what is typically viewed as part of the new tank process. Just looks like diatoms on the rockwork. Hard to see the bottom glass.

OP
OP
A

Antny12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 week tank and using chemi-clean already? Seems a bit drastic for what is typically viewed as part of the new tank process.

Probably, it was partially with the mixed advice of a local store. I didn’t want to get into a situation where my tank gets overwhelmed with algae.. and it was happening fast.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just blow it off manually, cut white light a bit, cut feeding a bit, and increase water changes in lieu of chemicals at this point. If I was to dose anything, it'd be Vibrant.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing any snails. Do you have a CUC?

OP
OP
A

Antny12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep- about 15-20 mixed snails. 2 emerald crabs. Was going to toss a few shrimps in, and hermits but haven’t done so yet.

been using a turkey baster to blow it off the past day or two.. but I know that’s not fixing anything. Tried cutting the lights a bit but I’ll try to cut more. I guess I just need to figure out what it is first. It looks like cyno but who’s knows.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back