What do i put my clam on???!?!??!

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have my clam on the sand bed, but im switching tanks in 3 months after i move. i DONT want him to attach to the glass, what should i put him on?:tongue1:

Chrissy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the flattest rock out of my sump and burried it in the sand, let them attach and then brought the rock back up out of the sand. The derasa stayed put, but the crocea jumped off of the rock again. Everywhere I have put that little bugger...it has jumped! Apparently it likes the sand bed, so I just left it there for now. But anyway, try putting a flat rock under the sand!

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crocea, derasa, maxima?

what color is it and what does the shell look like? ridges big ridges smooth?

NORTHERN REEF

"JUST FRAG IT"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have my clam on the sand bed, but im switching tanks in 3 months after i move. i DONT want him to attach to the glass, what should i put him on?:tongue1:

if your sand bed is deep enough thren i wouldn't worry too much about him attaching to anything, but if you wanna feel really safe you can put a half of a clamshell from a clam that passed on under the live one, meaning the sheell would be under the sand right under the clam, then he will attach himself to that and it is moveable just what i use to do

Candycane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one is a crocea and the other is a squamosa, the crocea has a very large byssal opening. I have NO IDEA where the whole 'letting it attach to something in the substrate then moving it' thing came from. I have actually seen that work maybe 20% of the time. Most of the time the clam will attach because it can feel a solid substrate. But, if you relocate the clam it might detach because it feels the "solid substrate" shifted.

menglis2

Nano Cube Owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sandbed that's about 2" deep, would it be okay for my clam (that's an aquamarine blue if that makes a difference) to just sit on the bed?

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
either half clamshell, or the crocea can be put in the rockwork. Tom at TRS has his crocea in the rocks.

the squammie can be put on a half clam shell. they get quite big for LR, and may topple your aquascape.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that shells work the best for me. The clams will attach and are easily moved if the need arises or they decide to move about a bit on their own. They'll let you know if they're not happy. They will release if a snail or crab comes by and puts pressure on them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back