What do I tell an electrician when planning a new tank build?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house is undergoing a bit of a remodel, and I want to put a custom tank in the living room. The home is pretty old, and the main panel is equally old. I'm getting a EV car charger installed, so we'll be updating the main panel anyway, but I want to get this setup for my future tank as well. I'm not sure what to tell the electrician. How can I estimate how much "electricity" needs the panel should be upgraded to?

My equipment list with electricity is roughly:
1. ReefOctopus VarioS-8 return pump
2. NYOS Quantum 220 skimmer
3. Neptune ApexEL, Trident, DOS, ATK
4. 2x Maxspect XF360 gyres
5. 2x ReeFi Uno lights
6. 1/5 HP Chiller
7. 2x 150watt heaters (controlled additionally by Apex)
8. Fleece Roller
9. 40 watt UV (running 24/7)
10. 60 watt Icecap Algae Scrubber (running reverse lighting schedule)
11. Maybe another Vario-S 4 pump (unless I can get a manifold setup with my return pump)

Do I just calculate all the watts? Amps? and then send that to the electrician?

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send them your watt and amp usage on the apex, they should be able to tell you just by looking at your daily/weekly usage

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should do the math on what your going to be running. Add up the watts and play it safe.
20 amp circuits top out at 2400 watts.
15 amp circuits top out at 1800 watts.
You should probably only put around 70%-80% load on them. And its a good idea to plan for the upgrade that might be coming. On a large tank I like to run 2 20 amp circuits (200g+tanks).

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also recommend separate dedicated circuits on gfci breakers since you’re upgrading the panel. It’s not just the amperage, but the ability to have things on different circuits in case one trips. That way the tank can survive. I always suggest 20amp circuits over 15 as you will inevitably plug something new in later. I also suggest having the receptacles mounted in areas that are accessible and close to where your equipment will be placed so you’re not stringing cords everywhere (think lighting, mixing station, rodi unit in case a booster or solenoids will be used, half your pumps on one circuit half on another, etc). Heaters and chillers are the biggest culprit for tripping circuits so keep that in mind. Don’t know your budget but if installing an ev station, maybe a power wall could be in the cards? They can be installed without solar and can take the stress off power outages away. Good luck!

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I calculate watts for this chiller?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I calculate watts for this chiller?
My two cents is to let the electrician figure it. It’s kinda their job. If you give him the wrong numbers and they undersize the circuits it’s on you. If they undersize it on their calculations, it’s on them.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a quick calculation based on watts I found for each of these things, and I'm coming up with about 1,000 watts (minus the chiller, I'm not sure how much that one is). I think it's safe to just get a 20 AMP on its own dedicated circuit with GFCI.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I did a quick calculation based on watts I found for each of these things, and I'm coming up with about 1,000 watts (minus the chiller, I'm not sure how much that one is). I think it's safe to just get a 20 AMP on its own dedicated circuit with GFCI.

You never want to put it all on a single circuit even if total load allows it. Get 2-3

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Safe” is a relative term. Safe in that it could handle the load…. Maybe. Safe in that if a heater fails and trips the breaker when you’re not home and the tank starts to implode on itself….I don’t know. Most people are fine in that they don’t have the luxury of being in the midst of replacing their panel and running a circuit. The cost at this point, for you to run an additional circuit is probably minuscule in the grand scheme of things and would be well worth the expense. My opinion, for what that’s worth

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Safe” is a relative term. Safe in that it could handle the load…. Maybe. Safe in that if a heater fails and trips the breaker when you’re not home and the tank starts to implode on itself….I don’t know. Most people are fine in that they don’t have the luxury of being in the midst of replacing their panel and running a circuit. The cost at this point, for you to run an additional circuit is probably minuscule in the grand scheme of things and would be well worth the expense. My opinion, for what that’s worth

OK, so I would run 2-3 circuits and then have multiple wall outlet plugs for both circuits?

I also will have a few apex energy bars plugged in, and probably one static powerstrip (not controlled). I guess the idea is the heater/chiller will be on a seperate circuit. Then maybe my return + pumps on another. And then the last is the lights and anything not crucial?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My house is undergoing a bit of a remodel, and I want to put a custom tank in the living room. The home is pretty old, and the main panel is equally old. I'm getting a EV car charger installed, so we'll be updating the main panel anyway, but I want to get this setup for my future tank as well. I'm not sure what to tell the electrician. How can I estimate how much "electricity" needs the panel should be upgraded to?

My equipment list with electricity is roughly:
1. ReefOctopus VarioS-8 return pump
2. NYOS Quantum 220 skimmer
3. Neptune ApexEL, Trident, DOS, ATK
4. 2x Maxspect XF360 gyres
5. 2x ReeFi Uno lights
6. 1/5 HP Chiller
7. 2x 150watt heaters (controlled additionally by Apex)
8. Fleece Roller
9. 40 watt UV (running 24/7)
10. 60 watt Icecap Algae Scrubber (running reverse lighting schedule)
11. Maybe another Vario-S 4 pump (unless I can get a manifold setup with my return pump)

Do I just calculate all the watts? Amps? and then send that to the electrician?
@Brew12

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I would run 2-3 circuits and then have multiple wall outlet plugs for both circuits?

I also will have a few apex energy bars plugged in, and probably one static powerstrip (not controlled). I guess the idea is the heater/chiller will be on a seperate circuit. Then maybe my return + pumps on another. And then the last is the lights and anything not crucial?
Sounds good. For example, I have two dedicated circuits at my aquarium stand plus a third outlet which was already there that is shared throughout the living room. I have two apex energy bars, one plugged into each dedicated circuit. I have two heaters, one plugged into each energy bar. I have six power heads, three on each energy bar. I also have a 12v adaptor for the apex plugged into the living room circuit. If one outlet trips, I still have heat and flow on the other. The chances of both circuits tripping at the same time is minuscule, but if they do the apex can still notify me as it has that secondary power adaptor plugged into the living room circuit. I’ve only had a gfci trip once and that was at full load with a chiller running and lightning hit the house. The other circuit did not trip and the other came back up after resetting it. I also put an outlet, not dedicated, at my rodi for a booster pump and another apex energy bar. I have an outlet at my mixing station that is breached off of one of the dedicated circuits where I have another apex energy bar.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. For example, I have two dedicated circuits at my aquarium stand plus a third outlet which was already there that is shared throughout the living room. I have two apex energy bars, one plugged into each dedicated circuit. I have two heaters, one plugged into each energy bar. I have six power heads, three on each energy bar. I also have a 12v adaptor for the apex plugged into the living room circuit. If one outlet trips, I still have heat and flow on the other. The chances of both circuits tripping at the same time is minuscule, but if they do the apex can still notify me as it has that secondary power adaptor plugged into the living room circuit. I’ve only had a gfci trip once and that was at full load with a chiller running and lightning hit the house. The other circuit did not trip and the other came back up after resetting it. I also put an outlet, not dedicated, at my rodi for a booster pump and another apex energy bar. I have an outlet at my mixing station that is breached off of one of the dedicated circuits where I have another apex energy bar.

Thanks! That all makes a lot of sense. I'll probably do similar, with just a regular outlet and then two dedicated 20A connected outlets.

I'm trying to keep my equipment pretty simple (I always start simple, then it gets crazy, then I get mad and tear it down to minimal and it works best that way).

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found out today that all 3 of my tanks run off the same 15A circuit breaker. I plugged my air compressor into an outlet I thought was on a different circuit and tripped the breaker. Shut down all 3 of the tanks.

2x 20A circuits is WAY overkill based on that, but also better safe than sorry. I am going to call a contractor friend of mine and look into adding at least one 20A to my house for the upgrade tank I am working on.

Since you are remodeling anyway, it seems a good idea to add multiple receptacles in areas where you need to plug things in. One of my major issues with my tanks is the need for extension cords to reach the plugs.. UGGHHH!!!

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, the best is 2 dedicated 15-20A circuits. Split your loads between energy bars sp that if any one circuit trips, you still have heat and flow available on the other one.

You also want flow and the apex on a battery backup or UPS so you can get notified if one or both circuit goes out and flow will be maintained until it can be corrected.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back