Pump to run 2 tanks and manifold.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am converting my 180 to a salt tank and was going to turn my 70g into a frag tank / other tank.

Im looking at a varios 10, red dragon 3 and an abyzz a200.

I am going from my sump to 2 57w uv’s, then into a manifold and back to the 2 tanks. The only one that will fit in my pump return natively is tge abyzz.

My main concerns are reliability, noise and then flow rate.

The 180g has 2x 3/4” returns and the 70 has a 70g has 2x 1/2 returns

I would guess total flow rate foe both tanks will be 800gph. This gives a good return rate theough the sump and about the right flow rate theough the uv’s.

Any and all opinions are welcome!

Thanks!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be interesting.

The Abyzz you're looking at is a 4400 gph pump. That seems way too big for a 180 + 70 gallon to me.

Are you trying to separate the 2 tanks with 2 UVs for sterility reasons? I would usually recommend that reactors and UV be run off a separate pump from the return.

What are you using for a sump? You will need to make sure and design it so that the sump can handle water from both tanks without flooding during a pump shutdown.

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That will be interesting.

The Abyzz you're looking at is a 4400 gph pump. That seems way too big for a 180 + 70 gallon to me.

Are you trying to separate the 2 tanks with 2 UVs for sterility reasons? I would usually recommend that reactors and UV be run off a separate pump from the return.

What are you using for a sump? You will need to make sure and design it so that the sump can handle water from both tanks without flooding during a pump shutdown.

My 70g reef runs an sdc6 at 65% and my 180g runs an sdc9 at 75%.

Im hoping I can run the new pump around 40-60%.

The pump will go to 2 individual 57 watt uvs in series then break out to both tanks and a Manifold.

Basicaly the 70g is just gonna be a frag system so flow rate im hoping is around 300gph and the big tank around 700gph. With head loss i think that should be obtainable.

My sump is a bashsea 48SS sump. It should hold it if the output arms dont go all the way below the water line.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use panworld 150 or iwaki 70 . Most of mine are 20-35 years old
ya will burn more power but you save like 2000 bucks a pump and get a better pump too

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use panworld 150 or iwaki 70 . Most of mine are 20-35 years old
ya will burn more power but you save like 2000 bucks a pump and get a better pump too
That was my first thought for reliability, but it will be in our living room. Noise is the biggest concern by far

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in that case I would look at the big jebao 20000. It’s very quiet, i don’t expect it to last 30 years have had one going for a year or so

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That was my first thought for reliability, but it will be in our living room. Noise is the biggest concern by far
If noise is a big concern I would go with a RD3 pump. Reliable and quiet.
Noise and being reliable is tops on my list. I use a RD3 100 watt as a return and a RD3 150 watt as a closed loop on my 240.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use separate pumps for separate tanks. Although it can work, using throttling and manifolds has never worked out well for me. You make a tiny adjustment at one out let and the rest get all messed up - like you get the UV dialed in just right and now you are putting too much into the fuge and display, or vice versa. Also, if you lose one pump, you lose everything.

Abyzz are super reliable and they back it up with a good warranty. Expensive. I don't have any opinions on most other DC pumps - I use low wattage AC pumps for the reliability and price. Tunze, etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back