Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I restart my build, I have been going through my old build sheet and see that the days of return manifolds and gate valves are being replaced with DC controllable pumps. I had original planned on a Sicce, but with all the new pumps who has what brand return pump and why?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reef octopus varios 6 on a 145gal.
I actually intend to switch to sicce when my fish tank budget is replenished.
I purchased the pump and the warranty expired before I got it installed and now it does not maintain a steady speed, and coral vue won’t do anything about it. So I want the sicce 5 year warranty.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce ftw! Been running from a basement sump for 2.5 years. 0 maintenance and a 5 year warranty. Case closed unless you need more hp.

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a cheap one like this for many years. It finally got too much growth on and in it to clean properly, so I bought another.

1710462099118.png

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other here.
Three jebao DCP pumps. reasons - cheap enough that I can buy two and have a back up. Have been reliable but talking 1-3 years not 10+ years. They are super quiet. The controlability is a must have for me on finicky drain systems like redsea and waterbox.
EDIT: For those not familiar with jebao all of mine are non wifi. As long as I have a controller to vary speed I have no need for wifi on a return pump

One reeflo external hammerhead. It's loud and sucks electricity but I needed to pump from a basement sump to a 150g and 180g on the first floor and it does that with room to spare.

EDITED to add info

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jebao DC WiFi, although I never got the WiFi to work. I bought two for less than the price of one of the “name” brands and I use the second for water changes and always have a backup ready or to swap in while deep cleaning. So easy.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four Blueline pumps of different sizes. Great pumps when you have high head heights. Twenty years old and absolutely bullet proof. Probably uses more wattage than I prefer but excellent quality. Reasonably quiet.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four Blueline pumps of different sizes. Great pumps when you have high head heights. Twenty years old and absolutely bullet proof. Probably uses more wattage than I prefer but excellent quality. Reasonably quiet.
Never heard of blueline.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of blueline.
Google them. Made in Taiwan designed by the engineers from Iwaki. I've literally had them running 24/7 (off during water changes) for 20 years. Had to replace a couple of capacitors on two of them 4 years ago. $20 each and as good as new. ( I have 4 in total.) Have never needed to service them before or since. Mine power a 500 gallon saltwater tank. Great for situations when you have high head heights. Lookup their flow curves, best in the industry and way way better for that than any DC pump. Available direct from Champion Lighting, the primary distributor or Amazon, others too but Champion is the authorized distributor and it starts with them. Reasonably priced at all sizes. Can't go wrong if you don't need fancy controllers, and you don't insist on a DC pump.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Sicce return pump, but it started getting flakey after about 6 months (wouldn't always turn back on unless I messed with it a while) and wouldn't start at all after 9 months.

I replaced that with a jebao return pump and got the sicce replaced under warranty.
The sicce warranty process was simple, but I don't trust them any more so I just use it for my saltwater mixing now.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Sicce return pump, but it started getting flakey after about 6 months (wouldn't always turn back on unless I messed with it a while) and wouldn't start at all after 9 months.

I replaced that with a jebao return pump and got the sicce replaced under warranty.
The sicce warranty process was simple, but I don't trust them any more so I just use it for my saltwater mixing now.
I tried a sicce too. Never felt comfortable with it. Didn't seem heavy duty enough, flow rate not terrific at a 12' head height, quiet, but not as quiet as I had hoped. I took it out of service and will only use it as a backup, if at all.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I voted Ecotech and other.
I use a Vectra M2 on my small tank and a RD3 100 watt on my 240.

Lohr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with sicce, I am a compulsive researcher of reviews, they seems to have overwhelmingly positive reviews, know good customer service, and an abundance of cheap and available replacement parts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back