What do we consider high Alk? SPS keep having tips die.

  • Thread starter Thread starter dnledman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dnledman

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2014
Messages
255
Reaction score
159
Location
Westchester
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone, I am dosing brs 2 part in a 210 gallon system.

Current readings

Ca 480
Alk 11.8 dkh
Nitrate ~40
Phos .6
Ph is stable at 8.0

I am running an off cycle refugium, lights are 1 radion xr30 and two illumagic x4

For some reason I keep getting burnt tips on my SPS, the are starting to die back now. My torch corals are fine, the only thing I can think of is that my Alk is a little high but my nutrients are correspondingly high or at least I think so?

Hence why I came to this forum for some help please.
 
I always found it easier to maintain all around 8.5-9 for my sps tanks and still had fast growth. At that high a level you need to make sure you have no fluctuations. I know everyone has different thoughts on this but I think the nitrates would be better around 10-15 and I would try to get your ph up as well.
 
You definitely can let alk and cal drop a bit . Running high alk has been done successfully for years but it's harder to do. Ide drop alk to 9 or so and let can get close to 400-420
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new