What Do You All Do to Keep Your Salt Dry?

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is certainly a decades old problem that we all have encounter, but I am curious what people do to keep their boxed salt dry and not turning into a solid rock. I personally transfer my box salt into a thick bag inside a 5 gallon bucket that has a screw top. I twist the bag close, tucking its top down to keep it from turning loose and then close the bucket's top as tight I can, to the point I know I still can open it without being a 2 man job. And...it still gets rock hard every once awhile from air moisture. Its very frustrating, having to fight with it in order to measure it when needing to do a water change.

I have thought about trying a Gamma Seal top, not sure if it would make much difference.

I, also, thought about trying packets of silicate air moisture absorber in the bucket, not sure if those work faster than the salt itself.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just split the 200 gallon boxes into 2 old salt pails with screw on lids.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Store it in an inside closet. Never had a problem inside the house, in the garage that’s a different story. Also if you have a hot house or set your ac high, then ya it’s gonna brick.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I've never had any problems with my salt clumping, then again all the brass in the room is corroded. Hmm... No big deal, just make an adjustment and all should be well. GL.

Skipbacon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I had a bucket turn into a brick I started bagging the bucket and have some desiccant packs inside the bag. So far so good.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just thought of something - what about those magnisium sulfate packets that you get from snack packages to keep moisture down? you can even buy large quantities of them as apart of shipping supply.

not sure tho how it may potentially interact with the salt...

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering, is it ok to use salt that got hard? I forgot to dry my measure cup, so I put the wet cup in the bag, and my salt got damp, and now its like a brick. Is it ok to break it back up, or do I need to toss it and get new?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had problems with salt clumping unless moisture got in. I use the bag my Red Sea salt comes in. Salt is stored inside. Not much humidity where I live

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy and use the instant ocean 5 gallon buckets. I never have issues because they have a rubber seal and they seal up completely.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I screw the lid back on the bucket

Charlie Day Head GIF by swerk

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I repurpose a bucket that I got that had salt in it. As my salt requirements have increased, I started buying in larger volume packages. I currently buy the 200G box that comes in 50g size bags. As I empty a bucket (160G), I refill it with the bags from the box. I am also careful to ensure that I reclose the lid tightly on the bucket every time I open it.

How fast your salt "clumps" is entirely dependent on the ambient humidity where you store it. In Central Valley, California, where I live, I have no issues with humidity. Someone who lives in Houston, TX will have a much different experience.

I see that you live in So. Cal.. and I know from experience that your humidity can be drastically higher than what mine is here.

Clumping is not an issue as far as making salt less useful. It just makes it harder to get out of the container you store it in. I measure my salt by weight, not volume. A $15 digital scale will make your measuring effortless. Since we mix to a Specific Gravity, it really doesn't matter if the salt is wet or not. If your salt clumps.. chop off a block with a hammer or whatever and dump it in your mixing container.. it will eventually dissolve and you can measure SG from there.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I repurpose a bucket that I got that had salt in it. As my salt requirements have increased, I started buying in larger volume packages. I currently buy the 200G box that comes in 50g size bags. As I empty a bucket (160G), I refill it with the bags from the box. I am also careful to ensure that I reclose the lid tightly on the bucket every time I open it.

How fast your salt "clumps" is entirely dependent on the ambient humidity where you store it. In Central Valley, California, where I live, I have no issues with humidity. Someone who lives in Houston, TX will have a much different experience.

I see that you live in So. Cal.. and I know from experience that your humidity can be drastically higher than what mine is here.

Clumping is not an issue as far as making salt less useful. It just makes it harder to get out of the container you store it in. I measure my salt by weight, not volume. A $15 digital scale will make your measuring effortless. Since we mix to a Specific Gravity, it really doesn't matter if the salt is wet or not. If your salt clumps.. chop off a block with a hammer or whatever and dump it in your mixing container.. it will eventually dissolve and you can measure SG from there.

I live in Florida and with a sealed bucket I don't have issues.

If there is a place more humid than here, I don't want to go there.

PeterZammetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is certainly a decades old problem that we all have encounter, but I am curious what people do to keep their boxed salt dry and not turning into a solid rock. I personally transfer my box salt into a thick bag inside a 5 gallon bucket that has a screw top. I twist the bag close, tucking its top down to keep it from turning loose and then close the bucket's top as tight I can, to the point I know I still can open it without being a 2 man job. And...it still gets rock hard every once awhile from air moisture. Its very frustrating, having to fight with it in order to measure it when needing to do a water change.

I have thought about trying a Gamma Seal top, not sure if it would make much difference.

I, also, thought about trying packets of silicate air moisture absorber in the bucket, not sure if those work faster than the salt itself.
French maid with hair dryer. };->

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an issue with salt clumping, but I reef in my basement, so maybe that helps??

My buckets of salt are literally sitting open right next to my mixing container. I don't even put the lid on tight between uses, the lid is just sitting on top of the bucket. Still never had an issue with moisture.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back