What do you control with your custom Apex toggle switch box?

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am setting up a new tank, complete with a full apex system to automate my reef tank. I have seen a lot of custom
Apex toggle switch boxes with buttons and switches that perform certain tasks at the push of a button. Most people seem to put these at under their tank for quick access. I am looking for some ideas and tasks that would be beneficial to have programmed in this box with just a push of a button. Thanks

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
68501564_10217127640096332_6653550807096492032_o.jpg

S1_Smp - Turns off all pumps in the sump for maintenance. This includes return pump, dosing pumps, ATO, and AWC.
S2_FdF - Feed Fish, turns off circulation for 5 minutes
S3_Blu - Blue Lights, turns on blue lighting for 5 minutes
S4_FdC - Feed Corals, shuts off circulation for10 minutes
S5_Wht - White Lights, turns on white lighting for 5 minutes
S6_WAV - Turns off powerheads for maintenance.
(Apex switch names are limited to 6 characters)

The two larger toggle switches at the left and right have protective covers so it's not easy to accidentally move the toggle switch, and these toggles remain in position until I manually move them. The other four small buttons are simple doorbell-style push buttons, so they only register "Closed" briefly when pressed. For these four buttons I created virtual outputs with Defer timers, so when the button is pressed it activates the virtual output for a set period of time, then then virtual output turns back Off:

BlueLights
Set OFF
If S3_Blu CLOSED Then ON
Defer 005:00 Then OFF

OP
OP
Gundy

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

S1_Smp - Turns off all pumps in the sump for maintenance. This includes return pump, dosing pumps, ATO, and AWC.

The two larger toggle switches at the left and right have protective covers so it's not easy to accidentally move the toggle switch, and these toggles remain in position until I manually move them. The other four small buttons are simple doorbell-style push buttons, so they only register "Closed" briefly when pressed. For these four buttons I created virtual outputs with Defer timers, so when the button is pressed it activates the virtual output for a set period of time, then then virtual output turns back Off:

BlueLights
Set OFF
If S3_Blu CLOSED Then ON
Very nice set up. It looks like your box is from Harry’s aquatics and is good quality. What is the reason for having the blue and white lights stay on for 5 minutes?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice set up. It looks like your box is from Harry’s aquatics and is good quality. What is the reason for having the blue and white lights stay on for 5 minutes?
I use the blue lights button when friends are over to show off the fluorescent coral colors, and I use the white lights for photography. I just apply a lighting profile to my SKYs when the virtual output is on.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BlueLights
Set OFF
If S3_Blu CLOSED Then ON

where did you buy that toggle box? Thanks.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you buy that toggle box? Thanks.
I originally got it from Harry Singer (HarrysAquatics), but his design was later acquired by Adaptive Reef and available at various retailers:

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a box with quick connect terminals like that come on the back of speakers. Picked it up on eBay. They are mostly hooked up to float switches. One for high sump water level, one for low sump, one for high water in skimmer chamber, one for switches on the sump cabinet doors (turns on convenience lights in sump when door is opened). There are 2 more float switches in my ATO reservoir. The ATO is gravity fed to the sump... But I have the ATO reservoir auto-replenished by my RODI system. So there are low and high float switches in the ATO reservoir. Having the ATO fully automated (to the point of no-touch) is a game changer.

bluetang_2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the blue lights button when friends are over to show off the fluorescent coral colors, and I use the white lights for photography. I just apply a lighting profile to my SKYs when the virtual output is on.
hello, do you mind sharing how to trigger a white or blue profile with Sky?

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own custom toggle box with indicator lights using two breakout boxes. I haven't completely finished programming it but here is the plan.

Emergency Button - Shut down everything
Toggle Switch 1 - Shut down powerheads and skimmer for maintenance
Momentary Switch 1 - Feed Mode A
Momentary Switch 2 - Feed Mode B
Momentary Switch 3 - Run Carbon Reactor for an hour - use only when water is not clear
Momentary Switch 4 - Fill mix container with water for water change
Momentary Switch 5 - After can is filled and salt is added, run pump for 24 hours
Momentary Switch 6 - Do water change with DOS
Momentary Switch 7 - Turn off skimmer for 4 hours
Momentary Switch 8 - Not in use yet
Toggle Switch 2 - Shut down skimmer

I also have a speaker terminal on the back that connects one input on the breakout box to a pressure sensor on a Davy's Locker skimmate collector.

As for the lights: Green is the default light that is always on unless the alarm lights are on. Yellow which is plugged into a wifi outlet and connected to Google Calendar using IFTTT. It notifies me when a maintenance task is required (unfortunately because Fusion does not have calendar notifications I have to use Google Calendar). Red turns on when PH is low, pumps are off etc. Then I have a red light with a buzzer which is my Oh S***! notification. This is if the leak detector goes off or the Apex loses power (plugged into a UPS).

IMG_20221017_123118.jpg
IMG_20221107_031532.jpg

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own custom toggle box with indicator lights using two breakout boxes. I haven't completely finished programming it but here is the plan.

Emergency Button - Shut down everything
Toggle Switch 1 - Shut down powerheads and skimmer for maintenance
Momentary Switch 1 - Feed Mode A
Momentary Switch 2 - Feed Mode B
Momentary Switch 3 - Run Carbon Reactor for an hour - use only when water is not clear
Momentary Switch 4 - Fill mix container with water for water change
Momentary Switch 5 - After can is filled and salt is added, run pump for 24 hours
Momentary Switch 6 - Do water change with DOS
Momentary Switch 7 - Turn off skimmer for 4 hours
Momentary Switch 8 - Not in use yet
Toggle Switch 2 - Shut down skimmer

I also have a speaker terminal on the back that connects one input on the breakout box to a pressure sensor on a Davy's Locker skimmate collector.

As for the lights: Green is the default light that is always on unless the alarm lights are on. Yellow which is plugged into a wifi outlet and connected to Google Calendar using IFTTT. It notifies me when a maintenance task is required (unfortunately because Fusion does not have calendar notifications I have to use Google Calendar). Red turns on when PH is low, pumps are off etc. Then I have a red light with a buzzer which is my Oh S***! notification. This is if the leak detector goes off or the Apex loses power (plugged into a UPS).

IMG_20221017_123118.jpg
IMG_20221107_031532.jpg
Thats freaking sweet! I gotta figure out how to make one. Where did you get all of the supplies?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back