OP
ca2or

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do I get my pictures "in focus"? That is like as clear as I can get them. What am I doing wrong there?

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to address each image individually because it would take too much time, but I'll offer a couple of general comments. It's much easier to critique images if you just post what you consider to be your best shot from a session.

The most critical issue is that your images are all out of focus. It also looks like the white balance is a bit on the blue side, particularly in the first couple of shots. Because of the OOF issue, it's difficult to tell, but it also looks like you need more depth of field in most of the shots.

In terms of composition, IMO you're doing the right thing by exploring different views. With subjects such as ricordia, go ahead and fill the frame with the subject. Leaving background in the frame doesn't contribute anything to the shot and, most of the time, detracts from the subject.

To get sharp shots, turn off all flow, put the camera on a tripod, use a remote release or the camera's timer, use mirror lock-up if you have it, and keep the face of the camera lens parallel with the glass.

Gary

Last edited:

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most critical issue is that your images are all out of focus.

Gary

That is my #1 thing I try to do - is IN FOCUS pictures. Regardless of color, saturation, exposure, ect. Those can all be post editted. Focus can't be.
I am using a point n shoot with no tripod, so that is my biggest struggle.

If I can get in focus picture, I am usually close enough on exposure to get a decent picture.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these days I'll move up to getting a camera that can shoot in RAW, and a tripod.
Then I might be a prooooofessionaaaallll. :) lol

OP
OP
ca2or

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these days I'll move up to getting a camera that can shoot in RAW, and a tripod.
Then I might be a prooooofessionaaaallll. :) lol

I wish I could shoot in RAW....I hear it's great. I too am using a P&S camera....Canon Powershot SX20IS

Last edited:
OP
OP
ca2or

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing all of the things I suggested in my comments?

Gary

Well I am trying to. But I can't seem to configure my camera to get "more depth" which was the Aperature right?

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. do you have an "Av" setting on the mode dial? that would be your "aperture priority" setting, which allows you to set the aperture and everything else is adjusted automatically by the camera.

maybe shoot for an f-stop of 4 to 10 or so.

OP
OP
ca2or

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do and was trying that but all the pic's were coming out super dark....maybe I was doing something wrong. I will see if I can try some more today.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the specifications, your camera has a manual mode, which should allow you to control the aperture and shutter. As you make the aperture smaller (higher f/ number=more depth of field) you have to slow down the shutter speed to compensate or your images will be darker. Your aperture-priority (AV) mode will do that for you but the camera's light meter is often fooled in reef tanks. Try manual mode so you can control both shutter and aperture.

You are correct, you cannot shoot in the RAW format, so you'll have to learn to do a custom white balance.

I'm assuming you're using a solid tripod? If not, you need to start with solid camera support. Sharp focus with this type of photography is not possible without good camera support.

Gary

ReefMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a chance to check back on this thread... looks like I missed all the fun :)

It also looks as though everything has already been said that needs to be said. Since your photos (which are cool looking, btw) are uniformly out of focus, I'd normally chalk it up to camera movement, as others have suggested. That can only be remedied with a tripod AND cable release or auto-timer. It's important to use both.

The other possibility, since you're shooting through glass, is that your camera wasn't parallel with the glass. The distortion can quickly throw the entire image out of focus when you're working this close, although it's usually worse in the two directions that you're most out-of-parallel with.

I suppose it's also possible that you were inside of your camera's minimum focusing distance... but most cameras have warnings for such things.

- Matthew

OP
OP
ca2or

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the specifications, your camera has a manual mode, which should allow you to control the aperture and shutter. As you make the aperture smaller (higher f/ number=more depth of field) you have to slow down the shutter speed to compensate or your images will be darker. Your aperture-priority (AV) mode will do that for you but the camera's light meter is often fooled in reef tanks. Try manual mode so you can control both shutter and aperture.

You are correct, you cannot shoot in the RAW format, so you'll have to learn to do a custom white balance.

I'm assuming you're using a solid tripod? If not, you need to start with solid camera support. Sharp focus with this type of photography is not possible without good camera support.

Gary
Right now I have no tri-pod but I am working on getting one. I started to mess with the manual mode today and very quickly realized....this is going to take some time. But I will keep shooting and messing around to get it right.

I just had a chance to check back on this thread... looks like I missed all the fun :)

It also looks as though everything has already been said that needs to be said. Since your photos (which are cool looking, btw) are uniformly out of focus, I'd normally chalk it up to camera movement, as others have suggested. That can only be remedied with a tripod AND cable release or auto-timer. It's important to use both.

The other possibility, since you're shooting through glass, is that your camera wasn't parallel with the glass. The distortion can quickly throw the entire image out of focus when you're working this close, although it's usually worse in the two directions that you're most out-of-parallel with.

I suppose it's also possible that you were inside of your camera's minimum focusing distance... but most cameras have warnings for such things.

- Matthew

I did notice today that when I am snapping Ricordia shots I am not totally parallel to the glass. I will have to work on that for sure.

I wanted to say thank you again for everyone who has chimed in. You guys have been a blessing to a novice trying to learn what appears to be a very detail oriented hobby.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you don't have a tripod, use a stool or some other device that holds the camera still, then use the camera's timer to trip the shutter. The object is to NOT have your hands touching the camera when the shutter is activated. If you're touching the camera, you'll move the camera when you push the shutter button and the result will be at least some blur in the photo. A stool with a bunch of books to "raise and lower" the camera will get the job done for a lot of shots.
Gary

mr_X

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use this-
Canon PowerShot D10 12.1 MP Digital Camera
i just point and shoot. never a bad pic.
orangeandgreeneyechalice.jpg

babydendro.jpg

tortclose-1.jpg

ReefMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ca2or, I think that you can expect the use of a tripod (or other stabilization as suggested) will solve your sharpness problems. If you're shooting through that aquariscope, it may need to be stabilized too... not sure how much of a difference it would make.

mr.X, those are some nice shots. Was the camera submerged when you took them?

- Matt

ReefMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are increasing the aperture number (ie, going from f8 to f11), that means that you're letting in less light, which means you need to either a) raise the ISO or b) slow down your shutter speed (1/250th sec to 1/125 sec)

:)

- Matt

OP
OP
ca2or

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok....let's try thig again. Tried the Manual mode....so let me know what I am doing wrong....or is it the same thing?

Zoas.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

I

inactive

View Badges
I shot these with manual(M) mode and the super macro setting freehand. Auto white balance, full size(I shoot M1 now) on an SX20IS. I'm still learning the camera as well, but this is my second wbdslr.

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back