What do you do to get good pictures

ReefMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CA2OR,

Before anything else, let me say this: "what is wrong" with any photo is a very subjective thing, and it really depends on what you're trying to achieve. For example, I probably would have gone with a slightly darker exposure because it drives me crazy when highlights are blown out... but for some people, having more shadow detail is more important and they're willing to sacrifice some highlights.

I see that you did use a smaller aperture on these (larger number), and it certainly helped you get more depth of field... nice job on that.

They're still not tack sharp, but they're not going to be unless you use a tripod when you're shooting this close... there's no way around that (unless your only light source is flash, and that has its own problems). They do seem to be a little sharper in general, so you must be doing something right.

You'll want to keep in mind that shooting at ISO 1600 (really, anything above 400) is also going to lead to some serious digital noise. In this case, it was probably the best option, since slowing down the shutter speed would have led to more camera-shake blur.

Good progress!

- Matt

ReefMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kraylen, those are some awesome fish shots :) I see that you shot it at 1/40th sec f2.8 at ISO 80. I like the fact that the eye is nice and sharp. If you had shot it at f8 and ISO 360 (or whatever the -1/3 stop works out to be on your camera), you might have been able to get the mouth in focus too... or at least more in focus. Still... very striking photos :)

- Matt

OP
OP
ca2or

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few taken with my phone

Like that polyp growth under the rock?
0108001527.jpg

0108001527a.jpg

0123001833.jpg

0123001833a.jpg

mattmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info. Some input please for a newby in shooting aquariums on a Nikon d2h...with a 18-84 lense...? Thanks

ReefMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D2H, huh? That was a pretty awesome camera in its day. It doesn't require any special handling, though... the tips in this thread apply universally, except that newer cameras with CMOS sensors tend to handle digital noise better than similar density CCDs, so you might want to keep your ISO on the low side.

- Matt

ReefMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a photo that I just shot with flash instead of available light. As such, I was able to shoot at f16 and got a bit more depth of field. I did hand-hold it, though... so it probably could have been sharper.

_DSC2384.jpg

I

inactive

View Badges
In my tank thread I posted over 20 pictures I took with the same camera... its a difficult camera to use compared to my old one.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out that it is a good idea to "set" the WB with either the sand or something white in the tank.
I'm going to try this out - I have a point and shoot, so hopefully it helps getting more true to life pictures.

Just thought I would post this since I remembered it AFTER I read it on another forum

OP
OP
ca2or

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if it is better to shoot in manual or custom mode....and what the difference is between them. I know this is a tough question to ask as not everyone has the same camera.....how much easier would it be then if we all had the same camera....so everyone run out and buy a Canon SX20IS so we can be on the same page....

ReefMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I'm shooting with flash, I nearly always shoot in Aperture Priority (Av). It gives me control over the depth of field while still allowing the camera to meter for the correct exposure.

Easy, but with control. Seems like the best situation to me.

- Matt

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual mode for me. The camera's light meter is too easily fooled in reef tanks, resulting in blown highlights when automatic modes are used.
Gary

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gary, have you experimented with hdr images? i believe it just stacks a series of images taken w/ different exposures... i know you use image stacking to get more subject in focus w/ macros, but how about hdr?

OP
OP
ca2or

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you guys that shoot in AV shooting in Macro as well?

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gary, have you experimented with hdr images? i believe it just stacks a series of images taken w/ different exposures... i know you use image stacking to get more subject in focus w/ macros, but how about hdr?

Sorry Benny, missed this one. I've only done hdr on reef photos a couple of times. I have no problem with it, just haven't bothered to fully explore whether it would help. Something to try. I have, in several instances, used a graduated ND filter to even out the light. That has been effective, but it doesn't always work, given the wide variety of rock and lighting setups from aquarium to aquarium.
Gary

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you guys that shoot in AV shooting in Macro as well?

I would think you have to be in macro mode regardless of your other settings because macro mode is going to give you the ability to focus at short distances. Depends on the camera and its capabilities, though.
Gary

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back