What do you dose?

Reef dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently upgraded my 90 to a 180, parameters are: alk 8.4 cal 440 mag 1400, nitrates close to 0, phos >.03 undetectable with my test kit. Very stable and I only use socks and skimmer for exporting atm. And I'm using BRS 2 part for dosing, mixed reef with heavy sps.

My question is about dosing trace elements, what I might be missing? Everything looks great and is growing nicely, but I find it hard to believe a 20% monthly water change will replenish trace elements if they are low. The math just doesn't add up for me.

I know the saying if its not broke then don't fix it, but I'd like to get some info so I can better understand. When I was younger I did water changes for exporting nutrients and now it seems I am doing them for importing lol.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a (newish) 180 as well, that's heavy on the sps end of things. I just run a calcium reactor and dose aminos and brightwell koralcolor as far as additives. Generally speaking, I don't reccommend dosing specific supplements for elements unless your testing for them. If you want to really get in depth into trace element dosing I would check into the triton method.

All this being said, the main trace elements i've dosed in the past are magnesium, strontium, and iodine.

Are you seeing slowing growth or reduced coloration that is prompting you to think you might be low on trace elements?

OP
OP
Reef dog

Reef dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm am just contemplating switching to triton or balling methods. I have some fading of colors on a couple acros but I'm still dialing in the new light fixture. ...Gieseman Aurora. I guess my concern is my tank nutrients are to low and I wanted to make sure they are getting what they need.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently upgraded my 90 to a 180, parameters are: alk 8.4 cal 440 mag 1400, nitrates close to 0, phos >.03 undetectable with my test kit. Very stable and I only use socks and skimmer for exporting atm. And I'm using BRS 2 part for dosing, mixed reef with heavy sps.

My question is about dosing trace elements, what I might be missing? Everything looks great and is growing nicely, but I find it hard to believe a 20% monthly water change will replenish trace elements if they are low. The math just doesn't add up for me.

I know the saying if its not broke then don't fix it, but I'd like to get some info so I can better understand. When I was younger I did water changes for exporting nutrients and now it seems I am doing them for importing lol.
Put it this way, Jason fox doesn't dose anything except the effluent from a calcium reactor, have you seen his 400g and 800g tanks?

Having said that, if you want to delve into it, I agree with the guy who posted above (although I think he meant manganese instead of magnesium) that you shouldn't dose anything you can't test for.

I'd start with a triton test, then at least you'd know if anything was lacking.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm am just contemplating switching to triton or balling methods. I have some fading of colors on a couple acros but I'm still dialing in the new light fixture. ...Gieseman Aurora. I guess my concern is my tank nutrients are to low and I wanted to make sure they are getting what they need.
You could always send a sample out for a triton test even if you don't plan to dose just to get a feel for the levels (I think brs does this now). You could even do 2 and see how things change over the time period. My experience is that unless you're seeing outrageous growth, the lesser trace elements are consumed at such a low amount that they can be maintained with regular water changes.

Heron_Beard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a (newish) 180 as well, that's heavy on the sps end of things. I just run a calcium reactor and dose aminos and brightwell koralcolor as far as additives. Generally speaking, I don't reccommend dosing specific supplements for elements unless your testing for them. If you want to really get in depth into trace element dosing I would check into the triton method.

All this being said, the main trace elements i've dosed in the past are magnesium, strontium, and iodine.

Are you seeing slowing growth or reduced coloration that is prompting you to think you might be low on trace elements?
Helo mate ! Can you tell me the amino brand are u using? Tnks !

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%

Back