What do you enjoy about your LFS?

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everyone I am considering opening up a LFS! I want to get some feedback on what makes your LFS successful to you? What do you enjoy about your LFS? What do you find that works best in your LFS? What would you suggest for wholesalers? I am at the very beginning stages of considering this! Just want to get some feedback!

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really, really, really enjoy the community aspect of it. Having a LFS that embraces Diversity and Inclusion is just the bees knees. Host events, host seminars, be a hub for your community, and have the wealth of knowledge by all aquarist be shared among everyone.

In my opinion, one of the absolutely worst paths a LFS can take is always going to be whether or not you are trustworthy.

If you can be a point source of education and allow the bouncing of ideas to both learn and share, then everyone that participates in this hobby will only become better, and you will be a trusted source which in turn will garnish support and equity.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some reefers, like me, choose to buy their RO/DI and saltwater from a LFS. If a LFS has expensive water, then I will not likely go there, unless they have something specific I want in stock. I'm sure they all make a profit from selling water, but you might need to view water as a potential loss-leader: getting people into your LFS is the first step in them buying something and potentially turning into a repeat-customer. Many stores employ loss-leaders to get people to visit (grocery, clothing, car dealers).

Everything you sell should have some level of quality, even the "free" advice. Online reviews and word-of-mouth can put a big dent in your sales volume. Your RO/DI should have low TDS and no Silicates (personal peeve). Your saltwater should be consistent. A small variety of healthy fish is preferred to a large variety of unhealthy fish. If you run low-dose of copper to hide disease, people will learn not to buy fish from you and tell others.

Based on several LFS that I frequent, fish (fresh and saltwater) are the most profitable, based on the volume of the store that is fish versus dry goods. A variety of food (especially seaweed) and medications is favorable to me. Dead fish and expired food/medications/test-kits are a turn-off. If you carry SPS frags and have to run hot, bright lights, then a higher indoor temp in your store is acceptable to people who might buy some of those frags.

Honest, accurate advise is highly valued. That is another reason people will visit a particular LFS versus another. Again, once people are in your store, for whatever reason, they are more likely to buy something than not.

If you don't know the answer, "I don't know that myself" is a perfectly acceptable response. If it's a fish-compatibility question that you can quickly find, do it. Trust and a repeat-customer is more valuable to your business than a quick buck and a bad experience.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between a good lfs and a bad one to me is clean tanks and price tags! When a lfs has a big tank full of awesome corals but no price tags I usually just leave.

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your feedback! The LFS that we have is actually closing down at the end of this month. It was really the only one in this area. The only competition that they really had in the area was a Petco and a Petquareters. They just didn't do a very good job of tank maintenance. The Petco tanks looks a lot better than this LFS ever did. There is a lot of opportunity in my area for a LFS. I am starting to do my research now on what people makes a successful store as well the margins to be able to financially survive as well. Thank you for your feedback, but I agree being able to be seen and known in the area! I hope this conversation continues to grow and I can get much more feedback! Thank you! @tsouth

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great feedback! I agree on the advise is a huge aspect! I am definitely no expert by any means, but I know how to listen and learn. As well confident enough to be able to say "I am unsure, but will do some research for you" and be able to grow in the hobby as well. I definitely need to do some more research on finding some good wholesalers. Dry goods I don't find would be very profitable just due to the fact of having to compete with the online market. Where fish and corals will be able to keep much better in the market due to people being able to see the fish before buying.

My LFS that is closing down near us.. They stated due to the Covid, but even prior to the covid there tanks and just entire building was extremely dirty. Their tanks were never in tip top shape for a store that specialize in fish. When you can go to Petco and there tanks are looking extremely clean and all fish look healthy. A couple weeks ago I went in and it was 95 degrees out and probably 100 in the building. They had no A/C on to help the inside. They just had a fish order of 3k+ and loss a lot of them. I went back a few days later and they had a sign on the wall that said "We are not selling saltwater fish due to heat exhaustion". Not to hate on them, but they had plenty of room to grow in this area as they are the only place that sells fish other than Petco. @schuby

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between a good lfs and a bad one to me is clean tanks and price tags! When a lfs has a big tank full of awesome corals but no price tags I usually just leave.

Thanks for the feedback! I completely agree on this! I find that being transparent with customers is extremely important.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just asked my wife what makes a good lfs to her and she said she likes it when the store has a unique animal that lives there (not for sale). We've been to stores with a seahorse/pipefish tank, huge angler fish, huge eel, shark tank, that kind of thing just makes people remember your store.

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just asked my wife what makes a good lfs to her and she said she likes it when the store has a unique animal that lives there (not for sale). We've been to stores with a seahorse/pipefish tank, huge angler fish, huge eel, shark tank, that kind of thing just makes people remember your store.

I totally agree. Especially having that one signature tank that really makes your LFS really stand out. Especially for people that aren't into the hobby, but they are interested in fish or just starting to get into the fish hobby in itself. Seeing something that also gives people inspiration potentially get something like that!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that the owner knows my name and my system even though the LFS is 2 hours away and I rarely get to go. The guy must have a photographic memory.

I also like that he and his staff feel comfortable talking about challenges that they've had or are having in their own tanks. An open, honest approach is essential for me.

Yesterday was my first trip to the LFS since FEBRUARY! Steve asked me to hang out for a few minutes before leaving so he could wrap something up and we could talk. We talked about how the tank is doing, how I implemented the AWC and what I thought about it, what kinds of salt and trace elements we each use, etc... While this is a very successful business with some amazing displays, it seems to me that he's genuinely interested in what works (or doesn't) for his clientele.

For me, it's more about the experience of visiting the LFS and the comfort level/confidence I have with the staff than it is about pricing.
Short term goal is to make that sale. Ultimate goal is to build a client base that will keep coming back and refer others to your shop.

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that the owner knows my name and my system even though the LFS is 2 hours away and I rarely get to go. The guy must have a photographic memory.

I also like that he and his staff feel comfortable talking about challenges that they've had or are having in their own tanks. An open, honest approach is essential for me.

Yesterday was my first trip to the LFS since FEBRUARY! Steve asked me to hang out for a few minutes before leaving so he could wrap something up and we could talk. We talked about how the tank is doing, how I implemented the AWC and what I thought about it, what kinds of salt and trace elements we each use, etc... While this is a very successful business with some amazing displays, it seems to me that he's genuinely interested in what works (or doesn't) for his clientele.

For me, it's more about the experience of visiting the LFS and the comfort level/confidence I have with the staff than it is about pricing.
Short term goal is to make that sale. Ultimate goal is to build a client base that will keep coming back and refer others to your shop.

I completely agree! I think building the relationship with your customers is the most important. I completely agree and having that trust. That is kind of where the one near me lacks. I really appreciate this feedback!

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS @LoveTheReef is by far the cleanest LFS store I have ever been to. There tanks all have nice fat healthy fish no dead ones in stuck on the overflow box’s. Like another one close by. Great stock of dry goods and a fantastic coral selection. Just being greeted at the door is a big deal along with NOT being pressured to buy something just so they can make a buck. I also think that you should Carry some high end equipment such as Neptune or ecotech products and not just no name stuff. It’s the little things that a store can do to keep me loyal to them. On the other hand I do understand how hard it can be for LFS to survive because of online prices. Most LFS can not compete with online prices which is a Huge problem to keep there doors open. Hope it all works out for you if you decide to go for it.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were opening shop these would be my priorities:
a) knowledgeable and veteran salespeople
b) clean fish tanks and store that looked good
c) fish already quarantined before they are on the sales floor, coral dipped before sale etc.
d) dry goods be reasonably priced in line with internet and other retail stores and no price gouging

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback! I completely agree having knowledgable people working at all times. I agree looks are a huge part of it. I think C. is the biggest thing IMO.. I think this is the most important such as that they are not sick and you are only selling high quality fish. For D. I think that will always be the hardest part is dealing with dry goods.. Due to the internet being so cheap and potentially having in two days if it is on Amazon.

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. FREE RODI
2. knowledgeable honest staff
3. Very fair prices. They beat online prices.
4. Quality livestock

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From an outsiders perspective, A LFS is a hard thing to put together. I have 2 that are actually local and 2 that are an hour drive.
The local ones are great for healthy fish, and LPS. One has zero sps, and one has a weak selection. When I first got into the hobby this was perfect but as I've become an Acro nerd I find myself driving over an hour to buy acros.
I went through the same thing with reptiles. Eventually you "outgrow" the local spots.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back