What do you enjoy the most as a reefer?

What do you enjoy the most about reefing?

• Fish

Votes: 43 37.1%
  • Corals

Votes: 59 50.9%
  • Equipment

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • Therapeutic

Votes: 50 43.1%
  • Ecosystem Control

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Having a piece of the Ocean

Votes: 62 53.4%
  • Just for the view

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • Others

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Having something to work on

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it changed for me. All the years of having a reef it's been the challenge for me which I always enjoyed. The trying new stuff and watching things grow. 11 months ago my daughter was born and she has loved the fish since she was old enough to see it. now she wants to atand on my knee so she can hold onto the tank and watch the fish and point to them. The fish all school around her hand and know when shes there they all come out (mostly bc I feed them when shes there so they know). And if we put finding Nemo on tv shes always looking at the tv and bqck to the tank pointing. So she gets it.

So to me it evolved from my enjoyment to watching her amazement at the living ocean in her living room. I can only imagine what it would be like to see this through her eyes.
That is great man, I have always wanted one of my kids to get interested in the tank but no luck ;Dead. I am sure you have amazing days ahead.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great man, I have always wanted one of my kids to get interested in the tank but no luck ;Dead. I am sure you have amazing days ahead.
I hope so. we bring her to the fish store when we go and she just loves walking the wall of tanks and pointing at all the fish. Hopefully she be my helper as she gets older. And one day teach me a few things. that and I'm a dealer mechanic, so I'm hoping to get her interested in fixing cars with me, for fun not for a career. Lol

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the fish for me. I love fish so much that I keep a dedicated fish only tank that I pay the most attention to. I can keep any fish at all in it, without having to worry whether they'll eat corals/clams/cuc/etc. I have a separate reef tank, and it's a whole different experience. There I get to really see more of an ecosystem in harmony with various corals and inverts, as well as some coral-friendly fish. As much as the other stuff is cool, fish will always come first for me. I don't doubt that the opinion of most on this forum is reef>>>fowlr. But, why not have both??

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the fish for me. I love fish so much that I keep a dedicated fish only tank that I pay the most attention to. I can keep any fish at all in it, without having to worry whether they'll eat corals/clams/cuc/etc. I have a separate reef tank, and it's a whole different experience. There I get to really see more of an ecosystem in harmony with various corals and inverts, as well as some coral-friendly fish. As much as the other stuff is cool, fish will always come first for me. I don't doubt that the opinion of most on this forum is reef>>>fowlr. But, why not have both??
I think you think outside of the box @drstardust ! have the best of both worlds. Fish and coral movement are really hypnotic to me. I find myself to be more emotionally attached to the fish rather than the corals. Thanks for sharing.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it is therapeutic. I suffer from PTSD from being in the sandbox one too many times and reefing normally helps keep me level and focused. Unfortunately when I having a active episode it usually is the first to suffer as well. Everything is nice and fat and doing well and growing just coralline has taken over in about 2 months of not scraping and now I have to battle it back. I am slowly going at it now that I am coming back around but darn does coralline sucks..

Now I just need to start the new build that I have all the parts for, just need the energy to get 250-300lbs of glass down the basement via a window I will have to remove. First world problems, I know.

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it is therapeutic. I suffer from PTSD from being in the sandbox one too many times and reefing normally helps keep me level and focused. Unfortunately when I having a active episode it usually is the first to suffer as well. Everything is nice and fat and doing well and growing just coralline has taken over in about 2 months of not scraping and now I have to battle it back. I am slowly going at it now that I am coming back around but darn does coralline sucks..

Now I just need to start the new build that I have all the parts for, just need the energy to get 250-300lbs of glass down the basement via a window I will have to remove. First world problems, I know.
Thank you for sharing definitely our tanks help us focus and leave dark thoughts behind, several people with PTSD and anxiety are here, including me. I am sure you can recover your tank.

I like taking long breathing exercises while looking either to my tank live feed or the tank in person to calm myself.

I look forward to follow your new build !

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having somewhere to drown out negative thoughts and be able to focus on more positive things.
Brother, we are in the same page, reefing is not only a great hobby but a great place to put out minds to work and avoid the anxiety. How is your reef going?

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brother, we are in the same page, reefing is not only a great hobby but a great place to put out minds to work and avoid the anxiety. How is your reef going?
It’s going great brother. Just had a birthday and got a lot of cool new coral from my family. Trying to figure out how to paint my canvas with it.

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s going great brother. Just had a birthday and got a lot of cool new coral from my family. Trying to figure out how to paint my canvas with it.
That is a nice problem to have.
Happy birthday !

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the fish and corals. To see corals grow and spread to enhance color in the tank is gratifying to me. From the start of my tank with dry rock to having living organisms that have added life and color helps me forget about anything bad that may be going on in my life.

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the fish and corals. To see corals grow and spread to enhance color in the tank is gratifying to me. From the start of my tank with dry rock to having living organisms that have added life and color helps me forget about anything bad that may be going on in my life.
Amen brother, reefing helps us keeping a cool mind.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
several people with PTSD and anxiety are here,

Me too. But I think the PTSD made me better. Of course I don't remember what I was like before I had it, so maybe not. :rolleyes:

PTSD is probably the reason I got up at 4:30 this morning and made potatoes, eggs, onions and scones from scratch because I invited the neighbors over for breakfast.

I do this almost every morning and hate to sleep. I wish I didn't have to but my fish are sleeping and the light is off so I can't go and annoy them while I am waiting for company to arrive any minute. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. But I think the PTSD made me better. Of course I don't remember what I was like before I had it, so maybe not. :rolleyes:

PTSD is probably the reason I got up at 4:30 this morning and made potatoes, eggs, onions and scones from scratch because I invited the neighbors over for breakfast.

I do this almost every morning and hate to sleep. I wish I didn't have to but my fish are sleeping and the light is off so I can't go and annoy them while I am waiting for company to arrive any minute. :cool:
IMO that is one of the best ways to attack PTSD, anxiety and stress in general, just go and do some work whatever is, cooking, gardening, reefing, fixing stuff...

Just one clarification in my case, I love to sleep ! ;Smug

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The passion for my reef come an goes with the seasons but I never stop enjoying the peaceful and relaxing view it provides me. Happy reefing. #honestinreefing

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t even set my dt up yet. I’ve kept a handful of fish for about two years now, FO system. Meanwhile I’ve been researching, and trying to come up with plans as I learn more. Trying to find my way to build an ecosystem. I mean, I’m going to have a small slice of ocean in my front room.

I voted for several but therapeutic is the net that ties it all together. Even in just the planning, it’s been an escape when things have gotten silly over the last two years. As a self professed lifelong student I view my future reef as an.......

idk, weird oceanic lifelong learning adventure? ;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot:cool:

But yeah. The fish. The corals. The ecosystem. The healthy pursuit of an amazing hobby....

The Breakfast Club Reaction GIF

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working from home for almost a year and every time I have a meeting with new people and I turn on my camera with the tank behind everyone loves it and the questioning starts on how I have a "piece of the sea" in my living room. I really enjoy it!

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t even set my dt up yet. I’ve kept a handful of fish for about two years now, FO system. Meanwhile I’ve been researching, and trying to come up with plans as I learn more. Trying to find my way to build an ecosystem. I mean, I’m going to have a small slice of ocean in my front room.

I voted for several but therapeutic is the net that ties it all together. Even in just the planning, it’s been an escape when things have gotten silly over the last two years. As a self professed lifelong student I view my future reef as an.......

idk, weird oceanic lifelong learning adventure? ;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot:cool:

But yeah. The fish. The corals. The ecosystem. The healthy pursuit of an amazing hobby....

The Breakfast Club Reaction GIF
I know what you mean!
It keeps you busy, we enjoy working on it and on top it makes you feel relaxed and cool. :cool:

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working from home for almost a year and every time I have a meeting with new people and I turn on my camera with the tank behind everyone loves it and the questioning starts on how I have a "piece of the sea" in my living room. I really enjoy it!
I am like you, on that unfortunately I cannot be with my reef most of the time but I have an extra monitor in my home office to watch it all time. Cams are great!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back