What do you put in your tank?

albyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just curious to see everyones opinion on the best suppluments/stability chemicals for maintaining a reef. I have seen these 2 and 3 part dosing jugs. I dont recall the make. But here is my scenerio. I use seachem complete, seachem carbonate to maintain parameters. I have a 40g tank with a 10g sump. I was doing 5-10 gallon water changes a week depending. But i feel like i was over doing it. So i am trying to establish a new wc regiment. My last wc was 3 weeks ago. I did a 30g water change due to green water. I just have been toping off the sump with distilled water. And dosing seachem carbonate when alk is below 11 and i try to keep my calcium around 420 with the reef. All opinions welcome to get some good ideas going. complete.
e566bfe7ce39db1772df2917e043b9d9.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly reccomend rodi water. It’ll probably help with the green water.
A bag of carbon on or next to the return pump will also help.

IMO , you alk doesn’t need to be quite that high but....
8 is not a bad number to target, and it’s easier to maintain Esp if you use a higher alk Salt mix.
A 5g wc every other is probably fine to do that.

And make sure you have plenty , plenty of pods in the tank.

OP
OP
albyone

albyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly reccomend rodi water. It’ll probably help with the green water.
A bag of carbon on or next to the return pump will also help.

IMO , you alk doesn’t need to be quite that high but....
8 is not a bad number to target, and it’s easier to maintain Esp if you use a higher alk Salt mix.
A 5g wc every other is probably fine to do that.

And make sure you have plenty , plenty of pods in the tank.
Distilled is just as pure. But yea i am getting a ro as soon as i have the extra money. I will save on buying gallons in the long run. And i forgot to mention i have 2 11oz bags of chemi pure blue in the sump. But if ph is 8.3 dkh 11 and calcium is 420 ammonia 0 nitrites and nitrates are undetectable with the liquid kits but im sure they are their i want to get electronic checkers for those. Then why do i really need to change the water? Is it possible to maintain a environment for my anemones with just maintaining params? My tank seems to do better when i dont do weekly changes

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled is just as pure. But yea i am getting a ro as soon as i have the extra money. I will save on buying gallons in the long run. And i forgot to mention i have 2 11oz bags of chemi pure blue in the sump. But if ph is 8.3 dkh 11 and calcium is 420 ammonia 0 nitrites and nitrates are undetectable with the liquid kits but im sure they are their i want to get electronic checkers for those. Then why do i really need to change the water? Is it possible to maintain a environment for my anemones with just maintaining params? My tank seems to do better when i dont do weekly changes
I do every other week. Usually small ones. Food builds up.
But yes , if the nutints are low it’s fine to skip.
As food accumulates and Rots, co2 builds and ph goes down.

Rodi is different the bottled water. It is not just as pure. Frimolace to place the quality and ingredients change. So when there’s a problemb trouble shooting gets harder.

And yea , I relate, I didn’t buy an rodi unt your years.

As far as dosing goes. The alk level can be maintained with water changes or dosing. Either way really

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back