What do you test for regularly in your reef tank?

What do you test for in your reef?

• Salinity

Votes: 87 74.4%
  • Ph

Votes: 57 48.7%
  • Ammonia

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Nitrites

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Nitrates

Votes: 51 43.6%
  • Phosphates

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Calcium

Votes: 83 70.9%
  • Magnesium

Votes: 61 52.1%
  • Alkalinity

Votes: 90 76.9%
  • Potassium

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Copper

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Iodine

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Oxygen/ORP

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Strontium

• Silicates

• Iron

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting results so far. I had expected some of the results, but didn't expect alk to get checked more often than ALL of the others.

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting results so far. I had expected some of the results, but didn't expect alk to get checked more often than ALL of the others.

To me alk is the most important. If it is not stable neither are the others. If your alk is steady it should be a very good indicator of what your calcium is.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity whenever doing water changes

And that's it. I use kalk in my ato. And I use to check alk and calc constantly but haven't tested in 6 months and things are growing great

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me alk is the most important. If it is not stable neither are the others. If your alk is steady it should be a very good indicator of what your calcium is.

Definitely true! I had expected it to be "up there" on the list, but I expected salinity or Calcium to be higher for consistent testing. I was wrong.

That's one of the reasons I love R2R! I always learn from you guys!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had your husbandry skills! You never test for anything?

Well I do put my finger on the glass every morning to make sure the temp is correct. I do occasionally test the salinity. Well not really but if I get something new and I acclimate it for a little while I see that the salinity in my tank is the same as the bag. If the salinity in the bag is way off, I call the store to tell them, their salinity is off. If your fish are spawning, your corals are growing, what are you testing for? I feel you will only screw it up by changing it as the water you are using for changes already contain everything in the right amounts. Corals only use a tiny portion of the calcium in the water unless they are growing a foot a day. If the water is clear, no smell, fish are living ten or twenty years, that is enough for me.
But I will test if something starts to die which luckily hardly ever happens.

About 5 or 6 years ago a company tested my water for free as they were curious as to what the readings in such an old tank were.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I do put my finger on the glass every morning to make sure the temp is correct. I do occasionally test the salinity. Well not really but if I get something new and I acclimate it for a little while I see that the salinity in my tank is the same as the bag. If the salinity in the bag is way off, I call the store to tell them, their salinity is off. If your fish are spawning, your corals are growing, what are you testing for? I feel you will only screw it up by changing it as the water you are using for changes already contain everything in the right amounts. Corals only use a tiny portion of the calcium in the water unless they are growing a foot a day. If the water is clear, no smell, fish are living ten or twenty years, that is enough for me.
But I will test if something starts to die which luckily hardly ever happens.

About 5 or 6 years ago a company tested my water for free as they were curious as to what the readings in such an old tank were.

Very cool! Like I said before, I hope one day to have your husbandry skills!! Thanks for sharing with us. ;)

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test for alk 2-3 times per week and calcium 1-2 times a month. What you test and dose for depends on what type of tank you have. A tank full of fish, softies, and LPS may never need to be dosed at all. A tank full of sps and clams won't last very long without testing and dosing.

How does Paul B's tank get an alkalinity and calcium reading higher than natural seawater when he uses natural seawater for water changes and doesn't dose anything? :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does Paul B's tank get an alkalinity and calcium reading higher than natural seawater when he uses natural seawater for water changes and doesn't dose anything? :)

I only use about 10% NSW as it is to heavy to use all of it and I do dose. I use ice melter for calcium and baking soda for alk.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk, Nitrates, Phosphates 2X per week. Calcium has remained consistant in my tank. Mag has also remained the same.

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank full of fish, softies, and LPS may never need to be dosed at all.

Agreed.

My 375g tank is mostly FOWLR and some LPS...I have not dosed in one year and all my corals look great.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Nitrate, Phosphate, and Salinity. I test once a week and keep all the readings in a notebook. I use my controller to monitor pH, temperature, and ORP. I record those in the notebook once a week when I test for the others.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I see. Dosing but no testing.

Something like that, but I can bring some water to a LFS if I felt the need to test something which rarely happens. If I put in too much calcium it will just fall out of solution, it will not erupt Mount Etna in Sicily, cause global warming or make a Lady out of Lindsey Lohan. I have been doing this for more years than Cher has been singing and so far no problems.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test Ca, Alk, Salinity, Ph regularly (I use these to determine my dosing amounts, usually pretty steady). Then monthly or so, NO3, PO4, Mag (these seem to stay steady, so I test less).

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test.....
PH is monitored on a daily basis via my controller
Alk once a week (as long as PH stays consistent i do it once a week),
Calc every other week and
Mag once in a blue moon (if my parameters start swinging).
Phos is checked if my glass gets dirty quicker than 3 to 4 days after a cleaning
Salinity is tested every few days....

laciex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a tip you don't need to test for trace elements they are not important for dosing or testing as they come in the salt. You should worry about: Nitrate, PH, Salinity, Phosphate, Mag, Calcium, Alkalinity unless your cycling which Nitrite and Ammonia you should also test!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 7 degrees here on Long Island today, but my fish are nice and warm. My 2 fireclowns keep the tank at a comfy 78 degrees so I don't have to test the temperature.
This is Man weather, not that Sissy stuff

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back