What do you use to attach frags to rocks/plugs?

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone use? I've been using a sandwich of dollar store super glue gel, epoxy, then more super glue gel. Heard that made a stronger bond but recently had 2-3 frags fall off the rocks before they encrusted the base enough. Perhaps it was old epoxy or something I'm not sure. Are there any better solutions? Should I just stick to one? Any brands better than others?

Also I always seem to get glue everywhere when I do this. Put glue on and put it in water and the glue sends out a slick on the top of the water that gets on the frag, your hands etc.

Any tricks to help out here? lol

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone use? I've been using a sandwich of dollar store super glue gel, epoxy, then more super glue gel. Heard that made a stronger bond but recently had 2-3 frags fall off the rocks before they encrusted the base enough. Perhaps it was old epoxy or something I'm not sure. Are there any better solutions? Should I just stick to one? Any brands better than others?

Also I always seem to get glue everywhere when I do this. Put glue on and put it in water and the glue sends out a slick on the top of the water that gets on the frag, your hands etc.

Any tricks to help out here? lol
I used to use ca glue or aqua putty. Now, by far, for the price, it's ese of use, and then, it's holding power, my favorite is JB Waterweld.. Great stuff imho..

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the best process. Just need to change the technique up a little.
when you get it all glued up keep the glued area parallel to the water when you go in. Don't give it time to film off so make it quick.
once you get the frag in where you want it give it a good few twists pressing the epoxy/glue into place.
as soon as the superglue hit the water it makes a film on it so you have to break that up while twisting the plug or frag

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use regular superglue. It helps to dry off the bottom of the frag to get the glue to stick. I twist it too once it's on the rock. It doesn't bother me that the hold isn't super strong because sometimes I like to move stuff around.

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used super glue gel to attach frags to plugs. I never used anything to attach the plugs to rocks, I would drill holes in the rock to fit the plug, if I wanted the frag to stay there I would just let it encrust itself over the plug and onto the rock.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorilla Gel > JB Waterweld >Gorilla Gel here. Learn to love the twist and just make sure you rolled the weld good enough to where it has turned a slight creamy color and you can no longer see the grey streaks in it.

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always used bsi gel..if i need the fast bond i can add some activator..no issues ever.

OP
OP
SCMatt

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just wasn't using thick enough gel really. Or like I said maybe some cheap old epoxy. In my searching I've heard good stuff about the JB Waterweld and IC-Gel so I might give those a try.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 59 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.5%
Back