What do you use to cover a wave maker?

PolypPocket

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2026
Messages
544
Reaction score
661
Location
Minnesota
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to get a few nudibranchs (and possibly a BTA). I have a small wave maker and want to cover the whole thing so nothing gets sucked in the back, front, or the sides. It’s like 2” max. It has a thin sponge cover for the sides but it moves easily and I want the whole thing covered for safety.

What do you guys use? A filter sock or something? Idk 😅
 
20260823_183609_3F0A860E-1A0F-4069-8BD3-8889816A1294.png

This is the one I have
 
There are some cool 3d printed cages, that is what i would use. Baring that, I would try some coarse foam. You could get a largish block and chop it up to fit, that would be the most protective way to keep nudis out of the impeller. You could also make something with craft mesh zip ties and a mesh filter sock. Ive never had an issue with btas getting sucked up and have run unprotected for 8 years, for what that is worth.
 
20260823_183609_3F0A860E-1A0F-4069-8BD3-8889816A1294.png

This is the one I have
I’m thinking of getting one these for my 15g what’s your experience with them?
I really like it. The intermittent pulse setting is way too fast but the continuous and wave making modes are good. It’s pretty strong for the size. But I don’t have a lot of experience with other brands so take my opinion for what it is, from a newbie.
 
There are some cool 3d printed cages, that is what i would use. Baring that, I would try some coarse foam. You could get a largish block and chop it up to fit, that would be the most protective way to keep nudis out of the impeller. You could also make something with craft mesh zip ties and a mesh filter sock. Ive never had an issue with btas getting sucked up and have run unprotected for 8 years, for what that is worth.
Ohhh that’s a good idea about the foam! I think it makes the most sense since the nudis will be tiny.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new