What does everyone dose to raise nitrates?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, what is the maximum daily dose for nitrate? I dosed 2 ppm at noon yesterday and bottomed out again next day.

if you have confidence in your kit, there’s not really any maximum. It is certainly fine to dose more than 2 ppm per day.

U

User1

View Badges
Older thread I know but found it this morning surfing. I didn't catch what everyone ended up dosing to raise nitrates? I'm in a similar situation whereas mine are low so wanted to bring them up a bit. I see Tropic Marin has a product Plus-NP and ESV has one - B-Ionic Nitrate.

I do not want to use the stump remover nor seachem one. Figured one of these would work or if there is a food grade that is easy to calculate dose I'll order it off Amazon today when I get my coffee :D

I really do not have a lot of fish to feed because there are not many in there. Skimmer I guess I could turn off as an option.

Edit:
I see sodium nitrate, reagent grade (chemically pure) 1 lb bag was referenced. I'll look at that and see how the dose was calculated.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User1

View Badges

Hi - I ended up picking this one up, thanks. Earlier it was suggest to use the URL below and select potassium - from potassium nitrate. I had another question, sorry to bother.

1. It says tank volume. I could enter 210 gallons which the tank is but actual water volume is less. Probably closer to 170 if I add in my sump. Does it matter which one to use?

2. It is asking amount to add in grams, teaspoons, or table spoons. What value goes here?

3. It asks amount of water to mix with - does that matter? It defaults to 1 ml.

My Nitrates are not 0 but probably closer to 3 - 5 range. I'd like to see if I can get it in the 10 range. Phosphates are 0.06. Not sure if either of these numbers are bad but I'm starting to see some cyno over the last couple of weeks and GHA on my return nozzle (not a big deal as it is contained there only).

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have good phos but need to just increase nitrates, trouble is I am in Australia and sodium nitrate isn’t easy to get hold of. I have found this but as a liquid

@Randy Holmes-Farley would you know how much to dose and should it be mixed with rodi?

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increased feeding, increased coral food.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With it being in liquid form is it the same strength and dissolving powder in ro/di?

1 M sodium nitrate is 62,000 mg/L (ppm).

So adding 1/62,000 times the tank volume will increase nitrate by 1 ppm.

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

Happy reefing. :)
Randy, I have bought some of this sodium nitrate but as it's in liquid form I am struggling to use the calculator. Can you help me with the calculations? If I wanted to increase Nitrate by 5ppm how much would in need to add to a 1000 ml ro/di and how much to dose per day?

AZ_Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I have bought some of this sodium nitrate but as it's in liquid form I am struggling to use the calculator. Can you help me with the calculations? If I wanted to increase Nitrate by 5ppm how much would in need to add to a 1000 ml ro/di and how much to dose per day?
What size is your tank? How many gallons?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One needs to know what the concentration is in that liquid. :)

Do you mean the 1 M solution mentioned above?

It is 62,000 mg/L.

If you add 1 mL of it to 70 gallons, the nitrate rises by ~0.2 ppm.

So dose 25 mL of your current 1 M solution to the tank and nitrate is boosted by 5 ppm.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back