What does sealab 28 do?

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it and I don't know why I use it. My LFS owner said we just use it because we're in the habit of using it and I believe him. Feel free to discuss or berate me I can take it.

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a video on youtube and a guy who doesn't do water changes uses it. That why I started using it instead of dosing and testing it only cost $3.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you would side with RHF in all matters chemistry in the reef

I would add this: anyone who ceases use of sl 28 doesnt get a detectable change in the reef in any way.

anyone who adds sl28 does not gain a detectable change in their reef in any way, except psychologically.

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you would side with RHF in all matters chemistry in the reef

I would add this: anyone who ceases use of sl 28 doesnt get a detectable change in the reef in any way.

anyone who adds sl28 does not gain a detectable change in their reef in any way, except psychologically.
I honestly feel like it helps because it melts lol

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it helps any, this is my honest assessment per major reef site on the # of people using sl28:

-Reef2reef: perhaps 2 at most, maybe 4 and I'd be astounded if four people total on this board actively use it.

-nano-reef.com: I'd bet none... surely those guys are not buying it but let's allow for 2 max users of it however in case someone wanted to experiment

Reefcentral, likely 200 users of sl28.

if I'm wrong in any of my guesstimates above/lemme see the links showing more % use than guessed.

the hobby is mainly getting by without it, its a very old product too I remember asking Randy about it in 2002 if I'm not mistaken. On reefcentral.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone recall Marc Weiss additives from 2002? Pet stores were flooded with them

They usually sat near the sealab blocks. I sometimes wonder why we don't see Marc Weiss additives, I'm wondering if he rebranded

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have actual proof it works or doesn't? When I did no water changes for a month it dissolved faster than normal. That's the justification I use to spend $3 whenever I go to the LFS.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have actual proof it works or doesn't? When I did no water changes for a month it dissolved faster than normal. That's the justification I use to spend $3 whenever I go to the LFS.

It is obvious the claims are total utter crap.

Does that means it is not useful? Not necessarily.

it’s just a hunk of stuff that slowly dissolves and adds chemicals to the tank, whether you need them or not.

Back