What does the "average" reef tank look like?

What level do you consider your reef?

• New

Votes: 70 17.0%
  • Below Average

Votes: 72 17.5%
  • Average

Votes: 197 47.8%
  • Above Average

Votes: 73 17.7%

• Total voters

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a rose bubble-tip anemone (sometimes called "RBTA"). I see three of them in that photo, along with a green bubble-tip, two maxi-mini carpet anemones and several rock-flower anemones - which makes for a pretty sweet display! I've never kept one, but I'm sure bubble-tips enjoy a meal of shrimp or fish now and again ...

~Bruce

TRPlacek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Are they high maintenance? Like do they need feeding or anything? I'm looking for any type of coral for my clownish that they can go in.
I wouldn't say they are high maintenance. I do not spot feed the rbta as they catch food from the water column pretty well on their own. The only thing bad about them is that they can up and move on ya and possibly kill other coral on the way to its next position in the tank. However if flow and lighting are stable they really shouldn't move once they have found a good spot. Mine only moved once and that is when I made a pretty drastic change in lighting.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crazy that over 80% of you consider your reef to be average or less than average.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy that over 80% of you consider your reef to be average or less than average.

I love how the below average is very similar to the above average. Makes good for a bell curve with majority being average.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own tiny theory, speaking as my own worst critic . . .

Thinking of my reef / art / effort / life as "below average" helps to inspire me to work harder at making it better, bringing it up to "average", at least! (It doesn't always produce _results_, mind you, but ... )

~Bruce

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1248.JPG
Above average because it's a beer reef and beer is good mmmmm beer

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent the last hour looking at this thread. I love y'all and your humility but most of you are delusional. I get it that we all strive for better.

The average reef is one that is sitting in someone's garage after they gave up. I think someone else said this so I won't take credit: if you have water, fish and non-fish, you're on the high side of average. This hobby isn't for the faint of heart and often fails when taken on as a whim. I bet there are a hundred nano and pico tanks in storage somewhere for every one tank over 50g. I may be exaggerating but I think you follow my point. We are all exceptional people for trying to keep a slice of heaven in our homes and offices. These tanks are all superb imo.

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what a wide range of thinking and considering what is average! Its a hard topic since its so subjective and I dont think we'll really figure out what is average or not. At what point is nice just "average"? Maybe the curve is really big and since there are quite a few really good looking tanks out there that they truly are just average? At the same time i see some of yall just fishing for compliments knowing your setup is well above average lol.

I voted my tank as average because there is lots of room for improvement and frag grow out that will take time. To me, above average isn't necessarily a mature sps tank, but one that is clean, clear, good contrast of colors, healthy fish, aesthetically pleasing rockwork, etc.

Ryan Kirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0479.JPG
Very new, after over 2 years out of the hobby have just started a new 200 litre system (after displacement) on Monday, thank you for giving me something to aspire to it will be interesting in 6-12 months time to look back and see changes on all these systems

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, these are all great examples in their own right. In the last few years my wife and I have been going to Mexico and snorkeling. I'm always surprised by how beautiful reef areas are, but yet there is still a presence of algae, ugly algae etc that we see when snorkeling. I guess the reality is that I shouldn't feel to bad if my tank has some "ugly" moments, because in nature, it's not always as pristine as some of these tanks.....but MAJOR KUDOS to these reef keepers for some of these spotless tanks :) Sometimes I think we beat ourselves up if everything isn't "perfect"....it's ok. It's a hobby and as long as we are successfully taking care of the fish and coral within reason no need to stress ourselves out. I got into this hobby many year ago to relieve stress....not get more stressed over minor setbacks. :) Well done everyone!

Oh, and this is my little 24g office tank...got a Red Sea Max-500 at home, pics laters. Battling a little algae in both tanks now, but def winning the battle :)

OfficeNano.jpg

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back