What Does Your Purple Firefish Like To Eat?

reeftankdude

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 5, 2021
Messages
552
Reaction score
220
Location
maryland
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all

fire fish.PNG
 
Literally anything… I have both purple and red Firefish and they’re not picky. They do prefer smaller foods though since they have small mouths. Mysis shrimp is usually a safe bet with any fish and Spirulina brine shrimp, LRS Nano Frenzy, PE Mysis flakes, New Life Spectrum pellets, etc.
 
Anything small that stays in the water column. I know that firefish are a standard in the hobby, but I don't actually think they are the best due to their general requirement that food is floating past them. They don't pick at the live rock all that much. In my tank, all fish but my firefish would do just fine if I left for a week and they had to chow down on what they could find on the live rock. Although they are generally hardy, the fact that they need to eat from the water column at least once a day makes them my most high maintenance fish.
 
Anything but loves to just hide in his hole never active wish I could catch him
My purple Firefish hides all the time unless I there is good around. He’s decided to pair up with my Fire Shrimp who also never comes out unless there’s food. I wonder if it has something to do with being a single fish vs a pair? My pair of red Firefish are much more active & out but obviously still a bit skittish. It just seems they’re more confident in a pair.
 
My purple Firefish hides all the time unless I there is good around. He’s decided to pair up with my Fire Shrimp who also never comes out unless there’s food. I wonder if it has something to do with being a single fish vs a pair? My pair of red Firefish are much more active & out but obviously still a bit skittish. It just seems they’re more confident in a pair.
Idk all I know is mine is beautiful but sucks he only comes out for food like I said I wish I could catch him bc he’s just useless….I do wonder if I bought another one will he come out more ? I really would love a active one but it seems they are so shy
 
Hahahah

SomeOne or some Fish?

Inquiring minds must know..
Some FISH… haha, should have been way more specific. Although, this did make me think of a podcast where an Astronaut was talking about living under the ocean for a few weeks in these pods & bathroom breaks required you to swim to another small pod. Going to the bathroom sounded terrifying but to add to that, the fish figured out that when they saw a person there, “food” was coming. Gross but the story was kind of hilarious.
 
Some FISH… haha, should have been way more specific. Although, this did make me think of a podcast where an Astronaut was talking about living under the ocean for a few weeks in these pods & bathroom breaks required you to swim to another small pod. Going to the bathroom sounded terrifying but to add to that, the fish figured out that when they saw a person there, “food” was coming. Gross but the story was kind of hilarious.
I'VE READ THAT!!!

they were talking about having to use the PooPod in the middle of the night..... Nah.... I'm good.
 
My purple will eat anything. He stays out close to his cave house most of the day. Will dart inside if he perceives a threat though.
 

Attachments

  • 20211125_144003.jpg
    20211125_144003.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 94
Mines super mellow, swims out front in the flow all day, hangs out with some cardinals eats a ton doesn’t bother a fly
 
Mine likes TDO medium, but has started to have a preference for the RUSalty Ova Feast eggs that stay floating a long time in the water column. The TDO has to be given to him/her one at a time--such a diva.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new