What eats spionid worms

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So These guys don't really bother me except they absolutely thrive growing on my rainbow stylo. Anyone know of something that actually eats these guys? I don't have any wrasses yet but I am not sure if any would eat them. I heard about a coral banded shrimp potentially eating them but I am guessing that this is not reliable.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So These guys don't really bother me except they absolutely thrive growing on my rainbow stylo. Anyone know of something that actually eats these guys? I don't have any wrasses yet but I am not sure if any would eat them. I heard about a coral banded shrimp potentially eating them but I am guessing that this is not reliable.

No clue. But now I'm intrigued. I have tons and it never occurred to me to find a predator for them.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just look kinda ugly on my rainbow stylo

Yeah. They were all over the back of my tank at one point. There's still some there, but I tend to look right past them. Would be awesome if something would clean them away.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
6 line and lunare wrasse should eat them. Coral banded shrimp also known to eat them. Best recourse is to assure no food reaches then and they'll starve. These worms live in tubes that they construct from mucous and sand. They have two white-clear palps that stick out from the top of the structure, these are used to grab small and large food particles which is what you would glue should you go the glue method, by applying gel super glue over their tubes and they will starve to death

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would they starve if I clip their "palps"?

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line and lunare wrasse should eat them. Coral banded shrimp also known to eat them. Best recourse is to assure no food reaches then and they'll starve. These worms live in tubes that they construct from mucous and sand. They have two white-clear palps that stick out from the top of the structure, these are used to grab small and large food particles which is what you would glue should you go the glue method, by applying gel super glue over their tubes and they will starve to death

The problem is that I would need to glue all over my rainbow stylo. Any other wrasses that eat them? I can't have a lunare and I really do not like the six line.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The problem is that I would need to glue all over my rainbow stylo. Any other wrasses that eat them? I can't have a lunare and I really do not like the six line.
With a needle nose pliers, break off cleanly at the base

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vayssierea felis eats them I believe. It's a small orange nudibranch. I'd doubt that you'd be able to find somewhere that sells them, but you could post around and ask if anyone has some in their tank that they'd give to you. I'd be surprised if could find anything that would be able to completely eradicate spirorbid worms from your tank.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vayssierea felis eats them I believe. It's a small orange nudibranch. I'd doubt that you'd be able to find somewhere that sells them, but you could post around and ask if anyone has some in their tank that they'd give to you. I'd be surprised if could find anything that would be able to completely eradicate spirorbid worms from your tank.

It is mostly the ones on that coral that bother me. The rest just grow in patches on the rock

chris new reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
It’s a bit of an old thread but I thought I give it a try.

I have some lordhowensis in my qt tank.
and I noticed some spionids in between the polyps.
starwing them out would be quick easy because I can easily avoid butting any food in the qt tank.
how long do you think it takes to starw them? I gues those two corals can survive much longer without food?
but iam a beginner and I just want to make sure that I don’t starw the corals in the end.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,
It’s a bit of an old thread but I thought I give it a try.

I have some lordhowensis in my qt tank.
and I noticed some spionids in between the polyps.
starwing them out would be quick easy because I can easily avoid butting any food in the qt tank.
how long do you think it takes to starw them? I gues those two corals can survive much longer without food?
but iam a beginner and I just want to make sure that I don’t starw the corals in the end.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Roughly 3-5 days and they start to weaken. You can add a dab of GEL super glue over their tube and in this fashion they will starve for good

chris new reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly 3-5 days and they start to weaken. You can add a dab of GEL super glue over their tube and in this fashion they will starve for good
Thank you very much for your answer.
that helps a lot!
I might skip the glue.
I don’t feel very comfortable using glue, because the tubes are directly in between the polyps.

I simply don’t feed the corals for 2 weeks and do some observation.

Do you think they lay Eggs?
If so, I would starw the next generation by just wait a bit longer before feeding the corals.

Again! Thanks heaps! I was just about to start to ignore them because in every thread, you can read that they are not harmful. But very difficult to remove, ones they make into the main display.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
that helps a lot!
I might skip the glue.
I don’t feel very comfortable using glue, because the tubes are directly in between the polyps.

If so, I would starw the next generation by just wait a bit longer before feeding the corals.

Again! Thanks heaps! I was just about to start to ignore them because in every thread, you can read that they are not harmful. But very difficult to remove, ones they make into the main display.
No eggs.

chris new reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U can dip your coral? It will stress it...
D
No dip is effective against Spionin worms.
Those corals are in my qt tank for 76 days and I dip the every 14 days. But those spionids are still there.
They are able to pull back into their tube and close it.
starwing them is the only option, I found after searching online for days.
But again, I am just a beginner.

GNZake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that helps a lot!
I might skip the glue.

How did starving them out work for you? I'm dealing with a similar issue and was wondering if you got rid of them

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back