What eel would you keep in a mixed reef?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of eel would you keep in a mixed reef with other fish? I know none of them are totally safe, but I'm curious about which ones you've seen do best in a community tank. I'm currently thinking a snowflake moray is what I'll most likely add (and add him as small as possible so he learns to eat prepared foods rather than dining on passersby).

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
snowflake would get my vote as well. like you mentioned, never 100% that they won't eat any of your fish, just gotta try your best to keep him well fed and pre-occupied

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra Moray would be my first choice, followed by pretty much any of the other pebbletooths - I'd lean toward Chainlink as my second choice because I like the color/pattern.

With fangtooths, I've seen pretty good results in mixed reefs with Dragon Morays, Dwarf Morays (probably the safest fangtooth option in the hobby), and Banana/Fire Coral Morays, so any of those would be my choices there.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget, with eels that tank needs to be made escape proof. Read many threads of users finding their eels on the floor. Almost as bad as octopus

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
@Goaway
1000022855.jpg

Mine is shipping today for delivery tomorrow.

HII315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running a 40 gallon mixed reef. I have a snowflake eel, two clownfish, Australian damsel, splendid dottyback and a peppermint shrimp. Everything was fine, the snowflake eel was totally fine with everything even though the eel could easily eat everything it stays friendly. I feed the tank once a day, frozen brine shrimp and I feed the eel dried shrimp. Most people would say don't keep an eel with fish that could fit in its mouth but I figure if they live in the ocean together I minus well shoot my shot.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of eel would you keep in a mixed reef with other fish? I know none of them are totally safe, but I'm curious about which ones you've seen do best in a community tank. I'm currently thinking a snowflake moray is what I'll most likely add (and add him as small as possible so he learns to eat prepared foods rather than dining on passersby).
I've had snowflakes, zebras and green morays. Zebras are the shyest, snowflakes the heartiest and grow really fast, green sharpest looking teeth! All behave really well and readily eat frozen shrimp, silverside and krill. I would recommend the snowflake.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for the snowflake eel. My eel has been in my reef tank for at least five years now. I got him when he was the diameter of a pencil. He’s been a model citizen. I keep my eel well fed and I use the the same feeding toungs and I feed him in the same spot each time. So he leaves the fish alone. At least until the writing of this post. Tomorrow is a new day so you never know.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running a 40 gallon mixed reef. I have a snowflake eel, two clownfish, Australian damsel, splendid dottyback and a peppermint shrimp. Everything was fine, the snowflake eel was totally fine with everything even though the eel could easily eat everything it stays friendly. I feed the tank once a day, frozen brine shrimp and I feed the eel dried shrimp. Most people would say don't keep an eel with fish that could fit in its mouth but I figure if they live in the ocean together I minus well shoot my shot.
You will need a bigger tank for the snowflake soon. They grow faster and get 2 feet long.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back