What else would you add here??

Armani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else would you add to this tank?? There’s 2 clownfish, blood shrimp, a fire fish, and two emerald crabs so far. Tank is new I want to put corals soon. As a side note here..to get coralline algae, how long should lights be on for?

03C08BB5-5FDB-44E7-844D-8BD64C96616E.jpeg

Willragan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a rock with some coraline on it to get it going and run your lights for 10-12 hours daily and test and maintain correct parameters. Calcium, alk, and mag. Dose where needed and with just coraline and no stony corals it should be easy to maintain dosing manually, no need for dosing pumps or calcium reactor for that imo. Of course this is a very stripped down and simple answer but basically correct imo. Watch as many reef chemistry videos by Randy Holmes Farley as possible. Good next livestock would be leathers or shrooms or zoas/palys imo.

OP
OP
Armani

Armani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a rock with some coraline on it to get it going and run your lights for 10-12 hours daily and test and maintain correct parameters. Calcium, alk, and mag. Dose where needed and with just coraline and no stony corals it should be easy to maintain dosing manually, no need for dosing pumps or calcium reactor for that imo. Of course this is a very stripped down and simple answer but basically correct imo. Watch as many reef chemistry videos by Randy Holmes Farley as possible. Good next livestock would be leathers or shrooms or zoas/palys imo.
Appreciate the simple info that’s what I was looking for, Is there a way without adding a piece of coralline to the tank? Maybe just lights and proper parameters? I also read to leave lights off? Lots of different things people say idk what’s right or wrong.

Willragan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it could get introduced with a frag on a plug but it is an organism and must be introduced in some way to propagate. It could be a plug with some on it or even a small piece of rubble. As you add coral it will eventually be introduced as a hitchhiker but if you want to speed up the process introduce something with coraline on it.

Willragan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a photosynthetic organism so I don't see where leaving the lights off would encourage its growth and it generally grows in the display where light is present not in the dark areas of sumps so I could be wrong but leaving lights off discourages rather than encourages algae and coraline growth I'm fairly certain.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back