What Equipment is needed for early tank?

GvEBray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone would like to introduce myself! I've got the bug after months of research I've decided to jump in on a tank of my own. I have a 36 gallon bow front tank. I bought it used with a marineland 375gph filter, and a titanium heater(not sure the brand) It came with a lid that has a simple LED light built in. I plan on starting with Fish and moving into Coral later on down the road. I'm about 3 days into starting the cycle. I was wondering if anyone could help guide me on what is the first things I should buy before buying fish when that time comes? Do I need a WaveMaker in the beginning or a oxygen pump of some sort? My filter moves water pretty well. I removed the 2 bio wheel filters from the Mairneland filter as people say they turn into "nitrite factories" but I'm still using the Carbon filters. I just want to make sure I have everything I need as we all know it gets costly very quick! I don't want to rush anything and plan on getting fish without the proper equipment. Thanks in advance for any advice I'm just trying to be a sponge and soak up all the knowledge I can!

20240513_150905.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, filters do not turn into nitrate factories. Dirty filters like dirty engine oil are not good. Just clean them once in a while.
You will prob want a test kit.
Then I would think about water for water changes.
Maybe a hose to vacuum the sand bed.

OP
OP
G

GvEBray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, filters do not turn into nitrate factories. Dirty filters like dirty engine oil are not good. Just clean them once in a while.
You will prob want a test kit.
Then I would think about water for water changes.
Maybe a hose to vacuum the sand bed.
Thank you I have just purchased a test kit and a suction tube! I've read alot that the dual wheel filters aren't good for salt water tanks. Is it okay for me to run the dual wheel filters aswell?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
G

GvEBray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Test kits if you haven’t already such as Salifert which is tried and praised in the hobby. I would get a small wave maker rated for that tank size. And some bottled bacteria and an ammonia source if you don’t have that already.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone would like to introduce myself! I've got the bug after months of research I've decided to jump in on a tank of my own. I have a 36 gallon bow front tank. I bought it used with a marineland 375gph filter, and a titanium heater(not sure the brand) It came with a lid that has a simple LED light built in. I plan on starting with Fish and moving into Coral later on down the road. I'm about 3 days into starting the cycle. I was wondering if anyone could help guide me on what is the first things I should buy before buying fish when that time comes? Do I need a WaveMaker in the beginning or a oxygen pump of some sort? My filter moves water pretty well. I removed the 2 bio wheel filters from the Mairneland filter as people say they turn into "nitrite factories" but I'm still using the Carbon filters. I just want to make sure I have everything I need as we all know it gets costly very quick! I don't want to rush anything and plan on getting fish without the proper equipment. Thanks in advance for any advice I'm just trying to be a sponge and soak up all the knowledge I can!

20240513_150905.jpg

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back