What equipment needed for a 40 breeder?

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the hobby and I have a 40 breeder. I have a fluval 407 canister filter, a 1600 gph hygger powerhead, a light, a 200w heater. I am still gathering all of the equipment to put the tank together and was wondering what else I was missing. I heard that a sump was not necessary, but would be a nice addition. I would be starting off with just fish and would wait a while to add coral. I am also open to any fish suggestions. I currently have 2 clownfish in a 10 quarantine tank until I set up my larger tank. Thank you!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least 1 more heater, I'd get 2 and a heater controller.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock (live or dead)
Sand - if you are not going bare
The canister will work, however many go with a HOB like an AquaClear 50 and use filter floss, it also has room to add carbon or other media.
Test kits - Stay away from the API salt kit and start with Salifert/Nyos/Red Sea. The Red Sea Marine Care kit is a good one if you will be starting with fish only for a bit.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R btw.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock (live or dead)
Sand - if you are not going bare
The canister will work, however many go with a HOB like an AquaClear 50 and use filter floss, it also has room to add carbon or other media.
Test kits - Stay away from the API salt kit and start with Salifert/Nyos/Red Sea. The Red Sea Marine Care kit is a good one if you will be starting with fish only for a bit.
Thank you! I have a API salt kit and I have been testing my tank with it for about a month now. Is there something not great about it? I was recommended it at the aquarium store I go to

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I have a API salt kit and I have been testing my tank with it for about a month now. Is there something not great about it? I was recommended it at the aquarium store I go to
Most box stores recommend it as that is all they really carry. They are ok if you do not have anything else. I have one as well but only use the PH test now. After the cycle, I have not used the ammonia and nitrite. The kits mentioned are easier to read the results and a bit more accurate as well.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometer to check salinity when mixing salt water for your tank, phosphate test kit, nitrate test kit, and an Inkbird temperature controller are what you should have bare minimum. Then of course some rock and bacteria in a bottle. Once you get to corals you will need test kits for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back