What ever happened to the 'French' Angel?

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAY back in the day the French Angel was always featured when mentioning a SWT. Now I never see any mention of it all. What happened?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it's an awesome fish.

I think full size angels in general are less commonly kept than they used to be. Everyone has reefs...especially smaller reefs.

This particular one gets over a foot long, and about that tall too. It isn't as striking as, say, an emperor as well.

U

User1

View Badges
Na - I don't think it is a falling out of favor thing. I think with what people know today if they have an actual reef then they try and stock it accordingly with reef safe fish. Or has close has they can. Some take chances, others not, and so it goes. There is always that removal process which sometimes can be quick and easy while others require a tear down or drain. I'm sure we have all been there one time or another...

U

User1

View Badges
Maybe because the French angel is drab and unappealing .....

Actually I bet the fish would stand out in your large tank Ca1ore - although I don't believe they are reef safe. Oh - but I think they get HUGE...

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it turns out... the further you are from a given collecting area, the more likely you'll be to perceive that area's fish as "desirable". (Like I'm partial to Red Sea and East African specimens.) As a Caribbean collector, you'll make more money shipping your French Angels to Japan than to the ol' USofA.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably just because it has French in the name lol.i'm not a fan of anything French period no exceptions!no French fries,French toast,baguettes allowed in my house.
don't get me wrong I made a lot of money catching and selling juvenile French(it hurts to even spell it}angels in the 1980's.a real popular fish along with the queen angel back then.

Last edited:

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my 10 inch French for 5+years, not the prettiest angel I have, but certainly a great addition......an adult Grey Angel is as good as it gets imo. Opinions are opinions, but I think both are impressive fish.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like said above, the further you are away from something the more desirable it is. It feels more exotic.

Also, I can't fit a full sized angel in a 90g cube tank let alone the 35g cube I'm currently in. Most people have a 120g or smaller tank, and large angels just don't fit like the dwarf angels do.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably just because it has French in the name lol.i'm not a fan of anything French period no exceptions!no French fries,French toast,baguettes allowed in my house.
don't get me wrong I made a lot of money catching and selling juvenile French(it hurts to even spell it}angels in the 1980's.a real popular fish along with the queen angel back then.

One vacation in Paris would change your attitude..

U

User1

View Badges
One vacation in Paris would change your attitude..

I was going to say something similar. I was traveling to India for work. I will usually try and find a place I haven't been to on the return leg and get a layover somewhere for a couple days. This go around I was trying my hardest to get back to the UK or Ireland but crossing carriers is a bit expensive - just the luck of the draw. So I was able to select Paris. Called up a friend from Ireland, asked if they wanted to meet for a couple days in Paris, and that was all it took. Picked a hotel in the city but off the beaten path, affordable, grabbed a map, talked to receptionist, and off I went. Much to my surprise I had one of the more memorable 4 days in a while.

It helped that I had good company from a friend I haven't seen for a while who also knew someone who lived in town. So he took us to all the resultants the locals eat at, was able to translate (which was good, I didn't want to eat bone marrow or monkey brain something or other), and pick some good wine. My point is that it was the farthest thing from my list of places I wanted to lay over. I tried to get to London or Dublin but ended up in Paris - really super glad I did. It was 10x better than what I expected.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back