What fish DON'T eat copepods?

BurtG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I'm getting a 75gal setup in the next month or so. The main focus of the tank with be specifically to cater to a pair of mandarins eventually. I won't be adding them until the tanks aged and has a large stable copepod population. I've been culturing a few types of pods and phyto in the mean time to get familiar with it incase the tank cant produce enough. Plus with hopes of breeding them eventually and needing the baby copes for baby fish. But in researching the other fish I might want to add to the tank, I keep seeing that a lot of fish eat pods. While I'm purposely trying to have nothing except the mandys eating pods.... so what interesting fish should I consider that won't steal their pods or be aggressive towards the mandys? Obviously wrasse are out. I was looking at firefish but it looks like they may compete and eat pods to? Do you think they would compete too much for pods? I was trying to stay away from a Clown pair as I'm worried they could get too aggressive towards the mandys if I get unlucky. Note: I'm trying to stick to things I can have pairs of in the tank as I'm interested In potentially breeding and rearing whatever I have. I was thinking maybe Aptasia eating file fish? I plan to add a small tang (obviously not gonna be able to breed those in a 75 sadly) , but that will be the last fish added and is probably a year or more out.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm getting a 75gal setup in the next month or so. The main focus of the tank with be specifically to cater to a pair of mandarins eventually. I won't be adding them until the tanks aged and has a large stable copepod population. I've been culturing a few types of pods and phyto in the mean time to get familiar with it incase the tank cant produce enough. Plus with hopes of breeding them eventually and needing the baby copes for baby fish. But in researching the other fish I might want to add to the tank, I keep seeing that a lot of fish eat pods. While I'm purposely trying to have nothing except the mandys eating pods.... so what interesting fish should I consider that won't steal their pods or be aggressive towards the mandys? Obviously wrasse are out. I was looking at firefish but it looks like they may compete and eat pods to? Do you think they would compete too much for pods? I was trying to stay away from a Clown pair as I'm worried they could get too aggressive towards the mandys if I get unlucky. Note: I'm trying to stick to things I can have pairs of in the tank as I'm interested In potentially breeding and rearing whatever I have. I was thinking maybe Aptasia eating file fish? I plan to add a small tang (obviously not gonna be able to breed those in a 75 sadly) , but that will be the last fish added and is probably a year or more out.
You can have SOME wrasses.
The wrasses from labroides, Cirrhilabrus and paracheilinus are all plantivores. However, even if they don’t peck at the rocks all fish eat pods. When the pods go in and are free swimming till they get to the rock, all fish eat them because it’s free food and they often don’t know when their next meal is.
Gobies can take on the Pod Population however they don’t do a huge dent in it - If you want any help, I have a Red Sea Max Nano with 4 gobies, 1 of which is a definite pod eater, a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse and a blenny, my pod population has remained extremely stable the whole year my nano has been up. I also had a Pink Streak Wrasse for a year and just under a month.

OP
OP
B

BurtG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can have SOME wrasses.
The wrasses from labroides, Cirrhilabrus and paracheilinus are all plantivores. However, even if they don’t peck at the rocks all fish eat pods. When the pods go in and are free swimming till they get to the rock, all fish eat them because it’s free food and they often don’t know when their next meal is.
Gobies can take on the Pod Population however they don’t do a huge dent in it - If you want any help, I have a Red Sea Max Nano with 4 gobies, 1 of which is a definite pod eater, a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse and a blenny, my pod population has remained extremely stable the whole year my nano has been up. I also had a Pink Streak Wrasse for a year and just under a month.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know about those wrasses. I will have to check them out.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. I didn't know about those wrasses. I will have to check them out.
I have just noticed I said labroides were planktivores, they aren’t planktivores however they are I guess pestivores and eat hitchhikers on other fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im probably over thinking it.
I think it’s good that you’re taking into account the thought of how many pods the Mandarins will need. They’re a great species when they’re thriving and breeding. I don’t know if you already said this but what species of Dragonet will you go for?

OP
OP
B

BurtG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Initially I'm getting a pair of blue/green mandarins. Though if the tank can keep up with pod production, I'd like to add a pair of ruby red dragonets down the road as well. I'm setting the 40gal sump up with as big of a fuge as I can squeeze in to help keep pods growing. I'd rather get the tank to the point that I don't need to keep culturing pods to keep them fed. But im prepared to if need be. I'm also planning to try and train them onto other foods as well. But I dont want to count on that.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially I'm getting a pair of blue/green mandarins. Though if the tank can keep up with pod production, I'd like to add a pair of ruby red dragonets down the road as well. I'm setting the 40gal sump up with as big of a fuge as I can squeeze in to help keep pods growing. I'd rather get the tank to the point that I don't need to keep culturing pods to keep them fed. But im prepared to if need be. I'm also planning to try and train them onto other foods as well. But I dont want to count on that.
Interesting on how you want to go with the blues and not the reds or spotteds. Keep us updated!

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure a 75 g can supply enough pods for a pair of mandarins. I got a 100 g system plus fuge and still always look out if my mandarin keeps picking the rocks. I feed phyto daily and got two tubs raising pods outside of the tank.
And i feed baby brine 5 times a week. Not sure if i could have a second mandarin though.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 can be kept long term in a 75G with daily additions of live phyto to feed the pods and keep them breeding.

I've had 2 for about a year now(not that I would call a 1 year as proof, but my older female I've had for 4 years now) in my 80G. Both are happy, and fat, and do their mating dance nightly. I also have plenty of rock rubble in my sump I feed live phyto to for a safe place for them to breed.

OP
OP
B

BurtG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are you sure a 75 g can supply enough pods for a pair of mandarins. I got a 100 g system plus fuge and still always look out if my mandarin keeps picking the rocks. I feed phyto daily and got two tubs raising pods outside of the tank.
And i feed baby brine 5 times a week. Not sure if i could have a second mandarin though.

I'm confident I can with the right setup. But that's why I started this question. To make sure I'm not working against myself with fish selection.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 can be kept long term in a 75G with daily additions of live phyto to feed the pods and keep them breeding.

I've had 2 for about a year now(not that I would call a 1 year as proof, but my older female I've had for 4 years now) in my 80G. Both are happy, and fat, and do their mating dance nightly. I also have plenty of rock rubble in my sump I feed live phyto to for a safe place for them to breed.
I think if both are doing the mating dance then I’d call that a success even if it’s only one year!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back