What fish to eat pests

racer-reefer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2019
Messages
19
Reaction score
22
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 gallon mixed reef tank with a 20g sump with refugeium. I currently have a mandrin, Yasha goby pistol shrimp pair, clown pair, long fin fairy wrasse and a Midas blenny. I can see a few different pests on my rocks and wierd worm things at night just trying to find something to eat the pests that won’t compete for food with mandarin or be aggressive with the other fish.

Any suggestions?
 
Depends on the pest but typically any coris, melanarus, or sixline will be active hunters. I prefer the first 2 as they are less aggressive. If its bristleworms you are looking at, consider arrow crabs
 
Depends on the pest but typically any coris, melanarus, or sixline will be active hunters. I prefer the first 2 as they are less aggressive. If its bristleworms you are looking at, consider arrow crabs


Edit I would avoid sixline if you are worried about copepods. However, most people mix up copepods and amphipods and a lot wrasses end up going for amphipods and not copepods.
 
Any pest eater will cause your Madaran to starve in a 65 gal tank. Works are wonderful so these cannot count as pest but normal desirable fauna.
 
Depends on the pest but typically any coris, melanarus, or sixline will be active hunters. I prefer the first 2 as they are less aggressive. If its bristleworms you are looking at, consider arrow crabs
I totally agree, in general any benthic feeding wrasse will eat pests but don't expect a large copepod population in your reef.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new