What fish too add?

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got a 4’ 90gal with a 10” fleece roller and way oversized skimmer. With 2 fish I couldn’t get the nitrates above 0ppm without dosing. I need some help choosing what fish and how many (if any) I can add. I’ll give you what I currently have and what I’m considering. Right now all fish, less the Angel and Clowns are pretty small.

Current Fish
Blue Hippo Tang
Tomini Tang
Desjardini Sailfin Tang
Midas Blenny
Male Lyretail Anthias
Bonded Pair of Picasso Storm Clowns
Male Japanese Swallowtail Angel

Potential Tank Mates
Blue/Green Mandarin
Spotted Mandarin
longnose Hawkfish
Diamond Goby
McCosker's Wrasse
Lawnmower Blenny
Female Lyretail Anthias

Thanks!!!

-Billy

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank is too small for the Hippo, Sailfin, or Angel individually, let along all three together. They are going to outgrow that tank, and fairly quickly. Do you plan on upgrading any time soon?

communityIcon_hay4cpjw3rw31 (1).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is too small for the Hippo, Sailfin, or Angel individually, let along all three together. They are going to outgrow that tank, and fairly quickly. Do you plan on upgrading any time soon?

communityIcon_hay4cpjw3rw31 (1).jpg
I do plan on upgrading to a bigger tank, hopefully 300gal, eventually, I just need to find the right location or somehow move the 90gal. If they outgrow the tank before then I can probably enroll them in a witness protection program.

With that in mind, any suggestions while they’re small?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do plan on upgrading to a bigger tank, hopefully 300gal, eventually, I just need to find the right location or somehow move the 90gal. If they outgrow the tank before then I can probably enroll them in a witness protection program.

With that in mind, any suggestions while they’re

Your Tomini is established in that tank, so if it isn't already, it will be aggressive to new comers. Bear that in mind when stocking new specimens of any genus. That being said, if you have a lid (glass or net) I would suggest the McCoskers or another Anthias.

Remember: it is never too early to start planning your next build, especially when you have proper motivation. Reef responsibly! Best of luck.

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Tomini is established in that tank, so if it isn't already, it will be aggressive to new comers. Bear that in mind when stocking new specimens of any genus. That being said, if you have a lid (glass or net) I would suggest the McCoskers or another Anthias.

Remember: it is never too early to start planning your next build, especially when you have proper motivation. Reef responsibly! Best of luck.
Unfortunately I’m in the middle of a divorce, TMI I know. I’ll be keeping the house but until it’s over there is a freeze on any major expenses. Hopefully it’ll be done with by May. I can start planning though!!!

Thanks!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately I’m in the middle of a divorce, TMI I know. I’ll be keeping the house but until it’s over there is a freeze on any major expenses. Hopefully it’ll be done with by May. I can start planning though!!!

Thanks!
Been there, and it stinks. Sorry to hear that.

Q: Do you know why divorces are so expensive?
A: Because they're worth it.

Here's to moving onward and upward. Namaste.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back