What flow should I have in a 32 gal bio cube?

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just wondering what brand and gal per min I should have for mostly lps stuff in a 32 gal bio cube?
Thanks

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General rule of thumb is 10× turnover an hour. So like a 400gph pump would be pretty good. But you could also go bigger with a ball valve, for example ive got a 39 cube reef with an 800gph pump and a ball valve.

OP
OP
Phlipper

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General rule of thumb is 10× turnover an hour. So like a 400gph pump would be pretty good. But you could also go bigger with a ball valve, for example ive got a 39 cube reef with an 800gph pump and a ball valve.

Ok so You would just adjust it down to the desired gph with the ball valve?

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a Vortech MP10. Does the job flawlessly with plenty of control. Yes pricey but once you get it you won't look back.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all depends on weather you mean return pump or circulation. The stock return pump is fine though I have upgraded to a Rossmont riser or VarioS-2 in some bio cubes I have. The more important flow is the circulation flow.

I have heard rules like 20X turn over or 50 times turn over. For a mixed reef usually 20x turn over is fine but you will fond SPS keepers who have 50-100x turn over. I also believe that while turn over is useful what really matters to corals is flow velocity and because of this it is more common to see high turn over rates in nano tanks than in large reefs.

In my office BioCube 32 I use a Varios-2 for a return pump probably pumping around 600gpH, A Tunze 6040 at 1200 GPH, and an Aquamai KPS at 1000GPH this is over 85 times turn over. Pics to back it up.
IMG_0486.jpg

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 32 I upgraded the stock return to an mj1200 (the italian made cobalt one, not maxi jet), then added 2 koralia 565gph pumps. Seems to be decent flow for sps, although I could think I could definitely use more.

OP
OP
Phlipper

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sweet. Ya I’m talking circulation, so will it hurt lps corals to have too much flow?

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sweet. Ya I’m talking circulation, so will it hurt lps corals to have too much flow?
Direct flow? It definitely could. As far as my torch and frogspawn go, a linear current constantly blasting the tentacles in one direction = unhappy coral. Lots of turbulent flow that keeps the polyps flipping every which way = happy coral. The real trick is creating that turbulent flow

OP
OP
Phlipper

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Direct flow? It definitely could. As far as my torch and frogspawn go, a linear current constantly blasting the tentacles in one direction = unhappy coral. Lots of turbulent flow that keeps the polyps flipping every which way = happy coral. The real trick is creating that turbulent flow

Ok so having two in your tank on opposite sides would probably be optimal?

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so having two in your tank on opposite sides would probably be optimal?
Exactly! Intersecting flow patterns across the tank should create that turbulent flow. From there you will just have to fine tune the pump locations/directions based on what kind've flow each coral is receiving.

OP
OP
Phlipper

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! Intersecting flow patterns across the tank should create that turbulent flow. From there you will just have to fine tune the pump locations/directions based on what kind've flow each coral is receiving.
Ok sweet thanks! So if you have a good turbulent flow could you have too much GPH for lps?

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sweet thanks! So if you have a good turbulent flow could you have too much GPH for lps?
You definitely could, the polyps can get damaged on their own skeleton if they whip around too much, even in turbulent flow, so I would suggest just observing your corals after you increase flow, if they arent happy they will show you by not opening up as much. Go for a nice medium paced swaying motion.

OP
OP
Phlipper

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely could, the polyps can get damaged on their own skeleton if they whip around too much, even in turbulent flow, so I would suggest just observing your corals after you increase flow, if they arent happy they will show you by not opening up as much. Go for a nice medium paced swaying motion.

So like 20x turnover maybe would be good? Or 10?

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If keeping mostly lps I would go with around 10-15x flow via 2 powerheads for turbulent, indirect flow. As far as tank turnover I like 5-6x per hour. This is on the lower end, but I feel like it gives your skimmer and other filtration time to do its job. As long as you are keeping detritus moving/suspended you can experiment and adjust as needed until you find the sweet spot for your system. Just go slow with any changes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back