Yet another question lol sorry fam

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up Fam, So I recently had lost 4 clownfish due to brooks. I took my goby out and began my fallow stage about 5-6 weeks ago….

I recently started a brand new tank (32 gallon Fiji cube ) can I add some of the rocks from my old tank to this new one for bacteria and cycling purposes? Would it be considered “cross contamination” how about bio media?

Thanks fam

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add the rock/media, but I would suggest assuming that it's contaminated - so you'd want to finish the fallow period (in both tanks, if you add the rock to the new one) before adding fish.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You answered perfectly I got like 1 more week left which would be enough time for my tank to be cycled with extra time … yes I know, nothing in reefing is fast lol but it would make sense. I’m just keep seeing that the brooks can’t live on rock or the bio media so I should be good but just looking for a common denominato\

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just keep seeing that the brooks can’t live on rock or the bio media so I should be good but just looking for a common denominato\
Yeah, just like ich and velvet, it can't live on rock or bio media, but it can detach from its host and end up on the rock/media (and other places, like previously uninfected fish) temporarily - so treating everything in an infected tank as if it's potentially carrying the pathogen is just the safest approach.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back