What gets "DIPPED" before it goes into the tank and in what?

Do you "dip" new additions to your reef aquarium in medication or coral dips?

• YES always

Votes: 486 60.7%
  • Sometimes depending on where it came from

Votes: 142 17.7%
  • Only if I see something that concerns me

Votes: 56 7.0%
  • Never

Votes: 106 13.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 1.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We all love new corals and critters but we don't love the pests that sometimes comes with them! These pests can not only take over a tank pretty quick but can also kill off certain inhabitants of our tank! Now we can't have that can we? So we have to take precaution and be careful but how careful are you being? One of the ways we can be careful not to introduce these pests to our aquarium is to use a type of coral dip or medication to kill off any unwanted pests. Let's talk about it today!

1. What types of livestock or additions to your tank gets "dipped" before they make it into your reef aquarium?

2. What type of DIP or medication are you using to kill off unwanted pests?

image via @Wy Renegade
TankWaterforHPmix5April2011.jpg

Last edited:

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What types of livestock or additions to your tank gets "dipped" before they make it into your reef aquarium? All coral is dipped per Billy Pipes method.

CoralRX, Bayer and when appropriate H2O2.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. What types of livestock or additions to your tank gets "dipped" before they make it into your reef aquarium?
None.
I have used a couple. Compared to using - or not using - I never saw a difference, so I stopped. I.e. have had some 'pests' after dipping, and pests without dipping, and no pests without dipping. IMHO - as you said - it depends partly on the source of your coral. Most 'coral raisers' - i.e. professionals, have systems in place such that there should not be a problem (i.e. why would a coral farmer risk acro parasites killing his entire 'crop'). If I were ordering online, or getting something from another tank - I might consider it. But in general my rule is 'don't get things from other tanks', and 'don't order online', unless its a completely trusted source

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral dip but I have never used it. Haven't had any issues, yet. I did once remove a monti cap that seemed to have pests on it and I dipped and scrubbed it in fresh RO water. After that it took off all healthy and stuff.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralRX for everything. Usually a Bauer dip is I see anything in coralRX. I like coralRX because water stays clear lol. So this is first time see what’s comming off then Bayer.

if I see algae maybe even h2o2 dip but some
Coras can’t handle the h2o2 so only in rare cases

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything gets CoralRX and Iodine - we've killed mostly pods, micro brittle stars and snails doing so but better safe than sorry. I've plucked aptasia off of plugs and then removed the whole frag from that plug and moved to a new plug. The only undesireables we've gotten is Vermitid snails but the pair of Melanurus wrasses made quick work of those and they closely inspect everything new that goes into the tank as a back-up to our dipping. We had a Lobo come with a feather duster growing out of it but the male Melanurus felt that was unacceptable and made quick work of the feather duster :(

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put every frag through reef dip when it arrives no exception. Then when I'm ready to mount after a week or so on a rack or the sand I'll re-do everything in revive.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all love new corals and critters but we don't love the pests that sometimes comes with them! These pests can not only take over a tank pretty quick but can also kill off certain inhabitants of our tank! Now we can't have that can we? So we have to take precaution and be careful but how careful are you being? One of the ways we can be careful not to introduce these pests to our aquarium is to use a type of coral dip or medication to kill off any unwanted pests. Let's talk about it today!

image via @Wy Renegade
TankWaterforHPmix5April2011.jpg
I don't necessarily dip everything. All softies and LPS get a dip, as do almost all SPS. I use Revive. The exception to the dipping is acropora: I've RTNd two acros after dipping upon arrival. Not that it's insurance, but I only buy from WWC and Tidal Gardens. I'm hoping that they do all they can to avoid pests as an outbreak can deviastate a significant business. So far so good. I think I'm pretty much stocked at this point anyway and am in grow-out mode.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my shroom only system I dip in bayer, rinse, dip in melafix then 2 hr cipro bath then in system for most. Some may stay 48 hrs for 2 additional baths.
Probably important to point out before I dip anything I completely remove as much of frag plug, rock, disc or whatever shrooms come on. This requires alot of surgical precision with small battery operated dremel with diamond blade right up to foot most of time.
I dont only worry about bugs at this point. The wrong nuisance algae or bacteria entering system can be as bad or worse than bugs.
I try to get it all now.

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
World wide corals specifically says do not dip their coral right away or it could cause permanent damage but everything from the locals gets dipped

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.1%
Back