Help what is this?

nandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
We've just bought some clown fish and came home to this in our tank. These skin like things were small before but are much larger now. And not sure if we can put the clown fish in before treatment?

Does anyone know what this is? All we have in it is a bit of cheeto and a tiny polyp. And live sand. But this started to appear when we put the cheeto in.
1000021075.jpg

1000021077.jpg
1000021078.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
We've just bought some clown fish and came home to this in our tank. These skin like things were small before but are much larger now. And not sure if we can put the clown fish in before treatment?

Does anyone know what this is? All we have in it is a bit of cheeto and a tiny polyp. And live sand. But this started to appear when we put the cheeto in.
1000021075.jpg

1000021077.jpg
1000021078.jpg

Thanks in advance!
What does it feel like? Does it readily break apart?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does it feel like? Does it readily break apart?
Hi Dan,

Yes is broke apart when we took it out of the tank. We didn't touch it with our fingers though. We have taken all the large ones out. Is it bacteria?

Thanks

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen this before in my tank - have no idea what it is - I would suggest trying to siphon it out to (as @Dan_P said) get a feel for its consistency, etc. I have seen bacterial mats that look similar. I do not think (assuming your parameters are normal) - that it should hurt the fish - but again, I would remove it.

EDIT - you were posting that you removed it - when I suggested you remove it. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dan,

Yes is broke apart when we took it out of the tank. We didn't touch it with our fingers though. We have taken all the large ones out. Is it bacteria?

Thanks
It was almost like taking a tissue out of water.

Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably some sort of bacterial film. I've had similar when carbon dosing.

How did you cycle this tank?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this before in my tank - have no idea what it is - I would suggest trying to siphon it out to (as @Dan_P said) get a feel for its consistency, etc. I have seen bacterial mats that look similar. I do not think (assuming your parameters are normal) - that it should hurt the fish - but again, I would remove it.

EDIT - you were posting that you removed it - when I suggested you remove it. :)
Thanks alot! Definitely puts my mind at rest. Fish are still being climatised so hopefully all is OK. did yours go away itself?

Upvote 0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dan,

Thanks
It was almost too beautiful to be bacteria, but such an easily destroyed film seems to point to bacteria. I assume the water motion in the system is currently low since this film was able to form. Do you think it might have peeled away fro the glass?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably some sort of bacterial film. I've had similar when carbon dosing.

How did you cycle this tank?
Tank started on 3rd March with live sand, pre mixed water and ATM colony and a shot of chaeto.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was almost too beautiful to be bacteria, but such an easily destroyed film seems to point to bacteria. I assume the water motion in the system is currently low since this film was able to form. Do you think it might have peeled away fro the glass?
Haha beautiful.. scared us. Yes motion is currently low. Dont think it's from the glass, It's a new tank and they were tiny on Friday and grew 10 times the size within 24 hours...wierd.

Upvote 0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha beautiful.. scared us. Yes motion is currently low. Dont think it's from the glass, It's a new tank and they were tiny on Friday and grew 10 times the size within 24 hours...wierd.
Don’t be afraid, you are bigger than they are :)

Best of luck with the new aquarium and prepare yourself for more alien encounters. Life experience rarely prepares us for the weird looking stuff that grows in a saltwater aquarium.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back