What goes into planning an epic aquascape?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you think is the key to planning an epic aquascape? What are the things that take a scape from good to GREAT!?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Imagination
Fair enough. Haha, but what sparks that imagination? And how about bringing that imagined concept to reality (sometimes that's what I think is the hardest part).

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having an end goal idea and working towards it... Google or R2R for inspiration.

Working with smaller rocks and piecing together with super glue to make bigger structures then piecing those together (if needed) helps me be more able to "shape" as I go as opposed to dealing with big pieces and be at the mercy of their shape.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oooh good question! I think one matter of concern is the tools or ingredients to make the “look” a reality!

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only built one NSA aquascape but I’m very proud of it and have a couple steps I suggest people take.
  1. Watch a variety of videos on YouTube, BRS and Tidal Gardens have a couple good videos for creating an NSA aquascape.
  2. Look on social media, reef 2 reef, etc. for aquascapes that you would like to replicate details of and save the pictures.
  3. Have a proper workspace as it is a project that takes a lot of time and will definitely be near impossible to do in a day.
  4. Order proper equipment and sufficient materials: Mallet, heavy duty gloves, goggles, chisel, enough Marco rock and foundation pieces, enough glue, enough insta set, marco cement. If I put enough by the product it’s because you should order more than what you’re thinking. About a pound of rock for each gallon is on the conservative side.
  5. Mimic the dimensions of your tank by either marking it on a cardboard box to work on or building a 3d tank out of pvc pipes, really a game changer.
  6. Remember not to build past 2/3rds of your tank height.
  7. Don’t forget about fish hiding spots and coral placements. All of my fish love their homes and it was due to creating the aquascape to fit the needs of my fish not the other way around.
  8. Have fun and patience, don’t rush it’s an art.

Sorry for the quick and unclear response, I can give a more organized, and detailed description if anyone would like the help.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve only built one NSA aquascape but I’m very proud of it and have a couple steps I suggest people take.
  1. Watch a variety of videos on YouTube, BRS and Tidal Gardens have a couple good videos for creating an NSA aquascape.
  2. Look on social media, reef 2 reef, etc. for aquascapes that you would like to replicate details of and save the pictures.
  3. Have a proper workspace as it is a project that takes a lot of time and will definitely be near impossible to do in a day.
  4. Order proper equipment and sufficient materials: Mallet, heavy duty gloves, goggles, chisel, enough Marco rock and foundation pieces, enough glue, enough insta set, marco cement. If I put enough by the product it’s because you should order more than what you’re thinking. About a pound of rock for each gallon is on the conservative side.
  5. Mimic the dimensions of your tank by either marking it on a cardboard box to work on or building a 3d tank out of pvc pipes, really a game changer.
  7. Don’t forget about fish hiding spots and coral placements. All of my fish love their homes and it was due to creating the aquascape to fit the needs of my fish not the other way around.

Sorry for the quick and unclear response, I can give a more organized, and detailed description if anyone would like the help.
This is a fantastic contribution to this conversation! Aquascaping is IMO one of the most daunting tasks of setting up a new tank. Few things impact the look of the aquarium longterm in the way that the aquascape will, and it's a tough job to create an epic scape that will lead to being the literal skeleton of an epic tank. Thanks for giving some great points that are certainly handholds for getting at that task!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. Haha, but what sparks that imagination? And how about bringing that imagined concept to reality (sometimes that's what I think is the hardest part).
I like to see what rocks on rocks thrown together looks like, and then adjust for eye pleasingness. In the wild you don’t see perfect arches and perfect caves, you see rocks on rocks on rocks lol, so I like to use that as a guide, this and also lots of the tanks of influencers I like like on YouTube and of course the ROTM

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a fantastic contribution to this conversation! Aquascaping is IMO one of the most daunting tasks of setting up a new tank. Few things impact the look of the aquarium longterm in the way that the aquascape will, and it's a tough job to create an epic scape that will lead to being the literal skeleton of an epic tank. Thanks for giving some great points that are certainly handholds for getting at that task!
Appreciate the feedback! Normally I’m on the receiving side of the information process so the ability to help others with the limited knowledge I have is quite enjoyable.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great advice. Thank you!

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"epic" being the key word goes beyond what we all know is needed in terms of materials and common knowledge. Step out of the norm. It's an artistic approach, It's unique. Don't jump in head first unless you are already sure of what you want and you are visualizing it. If that's not the case then get a sketch pad and start playing with your ideas. EPIC!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank would probably not be considered what most folks consider epic, aquascape wise but I started this scape about 6 years ago and still really like it. It is very natural looking and might look like something that could be seen on a crest reef since it has some height to it. It is definitely not minimalist but it is not a rock wall either. It has a DSB where a lot of the rock is actually covered by the sand. That portion of the tank creates stability for the tall rock structure on the right plus it allows for denitrification to happen. The left side of the tank is much lower and I think the differing height of the rockwork is interesting plus allowing differing spaces for fish and inverts.
I realize that this much rock and this much sand is not the preference of most modern day reefers but it does create a great biofilter and my tank is very very stable.
IMG_20230310_164951298.jpg

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the most important piece of planning an epic aquascape is having a good understanding of your tank shape and dimensions. Using simple materials like a cardboard box, duct tape, and a sharpie you can create the blank canvas you need to run wild! This gave me the confidence that everything was going to fit the way I wanted it to, and let my creativity flow!
aquascape 1.jpeg

Then let your rock, interest, and understanding be your guide,
aquascape finish.jpeg

Check out this post for more if interested, RSM S500 aquascape build

Later days,

B-Kind

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back