What goes with lion fish?

deedeecmt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 29gal. salt tank I want a lion fish but what are some others I can put in? I have a 125gal. reef and a 5 gal. with my dwarf seahorses. Any ideas will help!! Thanks DeeDee

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know specifically what type of Lion Fish you want? Basically my rule was any other fish types that will not fit into a Lion Fishes mouth, avoid more passive fish types such as Dartfish, Royal Grammas.

Is it your intent to put this fish in the 29 gallon, because it's my opinion that any type of Lion Fish including Dwarf lions are not appropriate for such a small tank. Of course the 125 gallon would a more appropriate choice.

Scorpion fish have been good tank mates.

E048

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 29g is too small for any lion, honestly even a dwarf lion

The dwarves may not get big but they make a mess.... Unless your sump is bigger than your tank I wouldn't do it.... For the common species (voliantis) a min of 125g works.

As far as tank mates go... In an appropriate sized tank... Rabbit fish, anglers, frog fish, some eels, squirrel fish, triggers, bigger deep bodied fish (some of the tangs may work) butterfly fish, bigger Angels.

In a big enough tank any of those would work with a lion but in a 29 I wouldn't do it...

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only lionfish species that would work in a 29 gallon is a Fu Manchu. They are usually listed with a minimum tank size of 30 gallons. In terms of space, the 29 gallon would be fine, but like someone else mentioned, they are quite the bioload so you'd need very good filtration.

In terms of tank mates, they can eat anything that is 3/4 of their size or larger, so you'd want something big enough to not get eaten.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back