What gyres do you prefer for a large tank??

Who do you think makes the best overall Gyre?

• Total voters

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide which gyres to go with for my 8 foot long 30 inch front to back 310 gallon mixed reef tank. Will mostly be lps and softies with possibly some monti and birdsnest sps. I know gyres require a bit more maintenance and I’m not a fan of the giant ear muffs sticking out on the sides of the tank with ecotech powerheads.

So what gyres do you guys have that you feel have performed and held up really well for your larger mixed reef or sps tanks? A good reliable app is also important to me. Put your vote and and voice your opinions. Having a hard time deciding.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Gyre 350's in my 72x30x24 tank and have to dial them down to 40 percent to prevent a sand storm.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them? How often are you cleaning yours? Much noise coming from them?
One of the Gyres I had for almost 2 years, the other is has only been wet for 7-8 months. The impeller on any of the 3 listed will loose roughly 10 percent output in 2 weeks. That's the only drawback to this style of pump. I usually clean mine every 2-3 weeks. When I say clean, I only mean the impellers, cages, and flow directors. I plan on buying a 2nd set of each, which is actually pretty cheap, so I can simply replace them like a MP wetside. It may take a minute per pump to do on a Gyre. As far as noise, I can't hear a single thing. I found that MP pumps are far more likely to make noises than my Gyre pumps, and I have both on my tank.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Reef Wav45 and Gyre xf350, overall I prefer the reef wav with its app and easy cleaning, reefwav is quieter as well. The. Xf350 is more powerful and also can be connected to backup battery.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Reef Wav45 and Gyre xf350, overall I prefer the reef wav with its app and easy cleaning, reefwav is quieter as well. The. Xf350 is more powerful and also can be connected to backup battery.
No issues with the app? Reading reviews online I’ve seen several complaints about red seas app and wifi connection which has had me a bit concerned. I was originally leaning towards starting with a pair of the reef waves until some of the reviews I read began to concern me

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with the app? Reading reviews online I’ve seen several complaints about red seas app and wifi connection which has had me a bit concerned. I was originally leaning towards starting with a pair of the reef waves until some of the reviews I read began to concern me
No issues for me, it’s basic on the app. The gyres controller is fine as well, I don’t prefer one over the other. Overall I like the reefwav better.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No issues for me, it’s basic on the app. The gyres controller is fine as well, I don’t prefer one over the other. Overall I like the reefwav better.
FWIW, have a Reefwave 25 and the app seems to be much better after some updating (I’m guessing it was around the time the dosers were added). When I started my tank with ReefLED 90s earlier this year, it worked, but the app was VERY frustrating. Now it’s fine.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two fx 350s on my 69" by 36" by 31" tall tank. and 2 XF 280s. I like the 280s over the 350s. According to coralvue the 280s are a newer design that have some of the bugs the 350s had worked out and it's a more powerful driver than the 350s. I run 2 on each end of my tank asyncronously controlled by the Hydros Wave Engin. (Love the Hydros controller!)

I run the 350s around 70% and the 280s around 50%. They create great surface tension. I have them mounted at the surface of my tank. So as to not be blowing corals directly. They create enough flow that my Hammers sway and my GSP at the bottom of the tanks sway in the current. My Acros and other SPS are doing amazing as well. They love the flow. I also have two MP40s mounted closer to the bottom of the tank that push water from the back to the front of the tank. Could probably use a third MP40 in there somewhere as well, but, things are doing well as is. :)

If I were to do it again for the price. I would do 4 xf 280s over FX350s. And if you order directly through Coralvue, the drivers themselves were $75 cheaper (Each) than BRS. You just have to submit a support ticket stating you'd like to order the XF 280s and they'll ship directly from the manufacturer. The down side is I need glass covers, because I'm getting too much evaporation in my house.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow thank
I have two fx 350s on my 69" by 36" by 31" tall tank. and 2 XF 280s. I like the 280s over the 350s. According to coralvue the 280s are a newer design that have some of the bugs the 350s had worked out and it's a more powerful driver than the 350s. I run 2 on each end of my tank asyncronously controlled by the Hydros Wave Engin. (Love the Hydros controller!)

I run the 350s around 70% and the 280s around 50%. They create great surface tension. I have them mounted at the surface of my tank. So as to not be blowing corals directly. They create enough flow that my Hammers sway and my GSP at the bottom of the tanks sway in the current. My Acros and other SPS are doing amazing as well. They love the flow. I also have two MP40s mounted closer to the bottom of the tank that push water from the back to the front of the tank. Could probably use a third MP40 in there somewhere as well, but, things are doing well as is. :)

If I were to do it again for the price. I would do 4 xf 280s over FX350s. And if you order directly through Coralvue, the drivers themselves were $75 cheaper (Each) than BRS. You just have to submit a support ticket stating you'd like to order the XF 280s and they'll ship directly from the manufacturer. The down side is I need glass covers, because I'm getting too much evaporation in my house.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What gyres do you prefer?

gyro-beef-brisket-sandwich-with-lem-2.jpg

with Lemon-Feta Tzatziki​

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow Thanks for the info....I am kinds planning the same thing.. I have two 350 across the top and I have two mp40 on the far left bottom to push water across the bottom .
I am doing 3/4 bare bottom and the far right I have sand with rubble outlining the sand. Prevent sand from blowing around for my two wrasses.
I am hiding the mp40 with huge 19"x24" flat rock and some other flat rocks to make several stacked shelves on the far left.
Will attached a pic soon

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the largest models (XF350 back wall + 4 mp40's)... the gyres work really well, however I noticed they must be cleaned regularly otherwise the flow drop off is pretty substantial.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what gyres do you guys have that you feel have performed and held up really well for your larger mixed reef or sps tanks? A good reliable app is also important to me. Put your vote and and voice your opinions. Having a hard time deciding.
first thing I have to ask is why is an app important for wave making pumps? You are going to be disappointed here, red seas app is trash, maxspect is trash, and icecap is nonexistent.

Now as far as the wave makers themselves go:

Icecap: These are just the old Maxspect Design. They are a pain in the butt to clean, and run loud over time. When you search gyre reviews and everyone is complaining about the servicing..... these pumps are the design they are complaining about.

Maxspect XF350 series: I run 4 of these, they are great. Much easier to clean and service, much better than the original 250 series gyres.

Red Sea: literally every piece of equipment I've tried from Red Sea has ranged from complete junk to underwhelming. I haven't touched their pumps nor would I ever plan to.

One thing to keep in mind with all gyre pumps. Part of the "gyre" cycle is for them to run back wards. I don't know why, they produce no flow what so ever running backwards, and they will eventually make noise and chew up the magnets running back wards.

Do yourself a favor, regardless of the gyre you choose.... run the forwards only. You will find the maintenance intervals to be much more spread out, and you will also not hear them make any noise, in regards to the maxspect, or less noise in regards to the icecap.

If you don't want to spring for maxspect, I would honestly skip the icecap and red sea and go with a Jebao Crosswave.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Gyre 350's in my 72x30x24 tank and have to dial them down to 40 percent to prevent a sand storm.
What setting do you run them on. I use the same powerheads on alternating gyre mode up @100% and still have to clean them every 3 months or they slow down too much for my lps
120g 48x24x25

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What setting do you run them on. I use the same powerheads on alternating gyre mode up @100% and still have to clean them every 3 months or they slow down too much for my lps
120g 48x24x25
I forget the name of the scheme, but it's a variable speed and they lag each other.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

• I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

• Other.

Back