What happened to my anemone?

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s going on with my anemone? I’ve had him for about 8 months now and has always been tucked in that rock and always ate well. I’ve been told they don’t split but the person said they could’ve been wrong. What do I do? Yoink him out before he poisons my tank?

image.jpg image.jpg

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert, but my understanding is that a regular BTA won’t nuke your tank. I’ve lost two over the years and nothing happened. Can’t tell if it’s splitting, but they split for two reasons. Everything is great or they are trying to save themselves by procreating (not happy with something that’s happened with the tank).

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert, but my understanding is that a regular BTA won’t nuke your tank. I’ve lost two over the years and nothing happened. Can’t tell if it’s splitting, but they split for two reasons. Everything is great or they are trying to save themselves by procreating (not happy with something that’s happened with the tank).
It’s actually a long tentacle anemone which idk if it’ll make a bigger difference.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just looks like the side is stretched out. Probably from being in the sand for so long. One side scrunched the other not.
I wish I could get a pic of mine but mine have kinda closed up because lights are going out.
Also the mouth looks decent can't really tell.
It's just trying to move.

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just looks like the side is stretched out. Probably from being in the sand for so long. One side scrunched the other not.
I wish I could get a pic of mine but mine have kinda closed up because lights are going out.
Also the mouth looks decent can't really tell.
It's just trying to move.
So just leave it? The only thing that has changed was I did a razor dosing for a week to help with the algae since I can’t get a tang gang due to velvet starving off rn.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just leave it? The only thing that has changed was I did a razor dosing for a week to help with the algae since I can’t get a tang gang due to velvet starving off rn.
Yea. You can put something on powerhead if you want. Most likely it will just settle nearby or in same place. I have no experience with that stuff.
I am dosing polyp lab for my ich problem and sometimes it will land on my LTAs and cause them to retract into their rocks. So u wouldn't worry.

What kind of lta is that?

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. You can put something on powerhead if you want. Most likely it will just settle nearby or in same place. I have no experience with that stuff.
I am dosing polyp lab for my ich problem and sometimes it will land on my LTAs and cause them to retract into their rocks. So u wouldn't worry.

What kind of lta is that?
Honestly don’t know I just bought him at petco as a long tentacle anemone. This was back before I knew anything about reefing. Now I’ve had him for a while and kinda regret it since he’s always been an *******. But thanks for the help! Settling my worries a bit.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly don’t know I just bought him at petco as a long tentacle anemone. This was back before I knew anything about reefing. Now I’ve had him for a while and kinda regret it since he’s always been an *******. But thanks for the help! Settling my worries a bit.
Well at least you saved it from petco hell.

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a long tentacle to me. They like to dig into the sand. Need very good water conditions, not the easiest anemone to keep. There is an anemone forum on here where you might get more advice from aquarists who currently are keeping that species.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What’s going on with my anemone? I’ve had him for about 8 months now and has always been tucked in that rock and always ate well. I’ve been told they don’t split but the person said they could’ve been wrong. What do I do? Yoink him out before he poisons my tank?

image.jpg image.jpg
Its an LTA and likely too much light and/or flow and even a tank that is Not mature enough for them - Tank should be at least 4-5 months before attempting to add them as they dont favor changes in water chemistry

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a long tentacle to me. They like to dig into the sand. Need very good water conditions, not the easiest anemone to keep. There is an anemone forum on here where you might get more advice from aquarists who currently are keeping that species.
Funny I was sold as being being “super easy and it’ll be the easiest thing to take care of in my tank” by the petco salesman. But he did manage to reattache himself and is fully opened again. He’s been eating out of my hands as well.

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its an LTA and likely too much light and/or flow and even a tank that is Not mature enough for them - Tank should be at least 4-5 months before attempting to add them as they dont favor changes in water chemistry
I’ve had the tank running for about 8 months now my rocks are heavily covered in coralline algae and have been able to grow sps even acroporas and montiporas. He’s doing well now I may have disturbed him or my eel must’ve since he’s next to his cave.

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad he's reattached and eating. Once established, most anemones are hardy. It's that initial settling in period that can be touch or go, especially with some of the more delicate species.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with reef tank supplements that you have no way of knowing what exactly is going into your tank. Brightwell Aquatics Razor falls under this category imo.

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with reef tank supplements that you have no way of knowing what exactly is going into your tank. Brightwell Aquatics Razor falls under this category imo.
I did use razor for algae control but it was a week after I did a week cycle of it. Could’ve been the issue. I haven’t used the product after that. But no he’s doing well now I just run my fingers along him and he’ll grab onto me and reach out to me everytime. Like a little puppy, only if he touches the wrong part of my hand and I’ll be in a world of pain.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back