What happened to my clown fish ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two oscellaris clown fish have been in my tank since the beginning, so about 5 months. I suppose that makes them 8-10 months old. They were about the same size, still small, so I suppose they hadn’t decided yet which one would be the female.

They were doing fine and eating well. Until today, when I realized one had disappeared. I’m 99% sure both ate yesterday, so I suppose it happened after feeding. I scrubbed the algae on the walls yesterday.

I guess two things might have happened.

First, the clown jumped while I was cleaning (even though it only lasted about 5 minutes). I didn’t see it but my dog did and she ate it (she’s done that once, I had another fish disappear a few years ago). I looked everywhere but could not find its body.

Second, the other clown killed it and he and the other fish (tail spot blenny) and the 5 snails ate it.

What do you think ?

Oh, and should I buy a new clown or not ?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will jump when cleaning or feeding. I had one jump onto my couch behind the cushions. Luckily I found her and threw her right back in. She was trying to bite me and jumped way out! I lost two babies to feeding time. My husband was feeding as I was ill and they jumped and he did not notice. Poor things.
If you do not find it, you can freely get another if you wish. Just get one smaller if possible.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that didn’t take long…. When I put the new clown in the tank, the other one started harassing it a bit after a few minutes.

It didn’t seem too bad so I thought I’d give them a few days to decide if it would work or not. This morning it seemed worse, but not too bad still.

Fast forward three hours later, I couldn’t find the clown. After looking everywhere I found it dead, stuck to the power head.

Sigh. This fish will definitely stay single. At least until it’s full grown and I can get a much smaller one. The one I just bought looked smaller at the store but turned out to be the same size when I put it in the tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%

Back