What happened to my Wrasse?

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I notice this on my wrasses side today and I'm unsure what happened. Idk if he got smashed or pinned by a rock somehow or what. Any ideas? He's camera shy and doesn't sit still. Let me know if you need better photos. It just looks like a white stripe on his side?

IMG_20200617_091317.jpg IMG_20200617_091309.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a while to find the fish. But that doesn’t look good; hopefully someone can shed some light on things. Do you have any medications on hand? How many days has it looked like that?

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a while to find the fish. But that doesn’t look good; hopefully someone can shed some light on things. Do you have any medications on hand? How many days has it looked like that?
I just noticed it today. He didn't have it yesterday. And depends on the meds. I have Polylab Medic and PraziPro. I do also have Copper Power, but I currently don't have a QT tank. I do have a rather large pistol shrimp and I'm wondering if he injured him somehow. I can't find him atm as he's hiding

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For wounds like that a 60 minute bath in methylene blue would be a good first step.
Then follow up 60-90 minute baths in Ruby Reef Rally usually works well as it has antibiotic and antiseptic qualities that work well on preventing and mediating mild bacterial infections.
If the wound develops to the white filmy, or redness, or you're seeing necrosis, treating with an antibiotic in a 30 minute bath each day is advised. Cirprofloxacin is preferred but almost any antibiotic can be used in a bath format.
And feeding food + vitamins (Beta Glucan is preferred) added supports its immune system to heal itself.

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For wounds like that a 60 minute bath in methylene blue would be a good first step.
Then follow up 60-90 minute baths in Ruby Reef Rally usually works well as it has antibiotic and antiseptic qualities that work well on preventing and mediating mild bacterial infections.
If the wound develops to the white filmy, or redness, or you're seeing necrosis, treating with an antibiotic in a 30 minute bath each day is advised. Cirprofloxacin is preferred but almost any antibiotic can be used in a bath format.
And feeding food + vitamins (Beta Glucan is preferred) added supports its immune system to heal itself.
Thank you so much! Any suggestions on how to catch him though? He hides under rocks... Also, I do put a garlic and ginger mix in their food if that's good too. I have a tiny jar of R/O with the ginger and garlic soaking in it. I add it to their food twice a day.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! Any suggestions on how to catch him though? He hides under rocks... Also, I do put a garlic and ginger mix in their food if that's good too. I have a tiny jar of R/O with the ginger and garlic soaking in it. I add it to their food twice a day.
Fish Trap. Some LFS will loan you the trap or rent it. But having one on hand for surprise events like this is nice.
More info on Beta Glucan:

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Trap. Some LFS will loan you the trap or rent it. But having one on hand for surprise events like this is nice.
More info on Beta Glucan:
Okay I'll try. He's hiding under a rock, so we'll see how this works I don't want to tear down my rock work to get him haha.
If all else fails, and you are at the end of your rope, ‘low tide method.’ Cannot NOT work. Lol. ;)
Thank you haha. If I can't catch him, I'll do that

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back