What happened to your starting corals?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing most of us started with easy fast growing corals to get going before eventually moving on to the more difficult stuff. The "beginner corals" are great for getting started. Usually tough and fast growing meaning you can get sopme success and know you're on the right track before starting on the more difficult stuff. However being fast growing and tough beginner corals can become a weed.

So my question is what was the fate of your first corals? Sold? Left on an island? Exterminated?

Personally I started with a rock of GSP and a beginners pack that contained Bob Marley zoas, Pandora zoas, yellow parazoanthids, pulsing xenia, and another frag of GSP. And their fates are as follows:
  • Bob Marley: killed in accidental friendly fire intended for aiptasia.
  • Pandora: Mined to destruction by greedy humans!! After becoming a uncontrollable weed it was collected and given to my butterfly and angels in my FOWLR.
  • Yellow parazoanthids: After growing over a giant rock in the middle of my tank I decided they were ugly and sold the rock to an LFS for $10.
  • Pulsing xenia: Learned the hard way that red fuzzy hermits are not reef safe.
  • GSP frag: sold immediately for another $10.
  • As for the main rock of GSP may I present GSP monster:

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have a tiny piece of my GSP left (having managed to kill off 99.9% of my GSP colonies over the past few months). The culling wasn't intentional - still baffled what caused the mass die-off.
I've heard that happen to a few people. I know one was caused by asterinas taking a liking to it. For me it seems to survive everything. It was in my tank with my original rocks and I mixed the saltwater directly in the tank not knowing any better. So its survived 0 to probably 45ppm salt and it was February so the water was very cold.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that happen to a few people. I know one was caused by asterinas taking a liking to it. For me it seems to survive everything. It was in my tank with my original rocks and I mixed the saltwater directly in the tank not knowing any better. So its survived 0 to probably 45ppm salt and it was February so the water was very cold.
I honestly though the GSP would outlive me (or possibly tie with cockroaches).

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xinia, dead due to low nutrients
Bob Marley (and all my first zoa's), same fate
Acan, dead lack of flow
Various rodactus, never been able to keep mushrooms
Duncan, still kickin and growing
Hammer, 4 mouths now from 1. Still one head though (I think)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, some of the losses… Each has their own story but all ended in their demise. My most recent was the Duncan being wiped out by Stars within just a few weeks if not days.
1692737643809.jpeg

IMG_5580.jpeg

IMG_8199.jpeg

IMG_9908.jpeg

EAE98C9B-1EBD-48B9-8577-2A7AD5891279.jpeg

Now for the ones that have survived, plus their before and after photos.

My first SPS that went in (Stylophora sp.);
IMG_6744.jpeg

IMG_0495.jpeg

Another one of my first SPS corals in my nano (Tropic Thunder Montipora)
IMG_6745.jpeg

IMG_6120.jpeg

My first LPS to go in my nano (Fimbriaphyllia paraancora) - now my last remaining LPS in the large tank;
IMG_6540.jpeg

IMG_7328.jpeg

My first coral to hit my 4’ tank (Ricordea yuma) - Survived an ammonia spike along with a Chili coral who is also with me and under the rock;
IMG_6071.jpeg

FF505202-084D-4DB0-89F1-663CB1F1B80F.jpeg

My first Leather (Colony) - IDed as Sinularia brassica.
IMG_6072.jpeg

1692738233177.jpeg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got "starter" corals when I was a newb. Jumped right in with acans and trumpets. Yeah they're on the easier side to keep but I doubt anyone would see them as a pest in a mature mixed reef.

I had heard the warning tales of GSP and xenia and swore them off from the start.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have all of mine.
They were all just stumps destined for the trash and they were given to me by a friend.
They have all grown-some more than others and some I've had about 2 years.
My trigger did eat all but two of my Kenya trees but I moved one out so one left.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First corals were a couple eagle eye zoanthids and a purple shaggy rhodactis. Rhodactis melted in a matter of hours due to unbelievably high nitrates, zoas were never affected. Soon afterwards I got a bicolor hammer and a frag of blue Caulastrea, which lived in that tank for a few months before an upgrade. Shortly lost all of those during a pet sitting disaster (pet sitters' senile mother had to fill in for him, put the entire jar of fish food into a 24g tank).

I have yet to see a blue Caulastrea for sale since, and that was 9 years ago. I've seen teals and cyans, but not the true blue which is ironically pink like a leather and not blue at all.

My oldest surviving coral, off the top of my head, is a massive plate of Lithophyllon I got in 2018 with a new tank. Long story short, it survived while the other freebies did not.

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pandora zoas are being removed weekly. They grow aggressively and easily over take other zoas and corals.

I’ve traded or moved most of the green sinularia I started with.

I rapidly started adding LPS a few months into my first tank and the only thing I lost was a bubble coral when I swapped from a 10 to 20g.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pandora zoas are being removed weekly. They grow aggressively and easily over take other zoas and corals.

I’ve traded or moved most of the green sinularia I started with.

I rapidly started adding LPS a few months into my first tank and the only thing I lost was a bubble coral when I swapped from a 10 to 20g.
Get yourself a pearlscale butterfly and you’ll never worry about pandoras again! This rock was covered in them. (Obviously joking, pearlscale will eat all your corals)
IMG_7686.jpeg

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a pearlscale butterfly and you’ll never worry about pandoras again! This rock was covered in them. (Obviously joking, pearlscale will eat all your corals)
IMG_7686.jpeg
Pearlscale butterfly is so pretty!

Ive been using a steel straw siphon to remove them and it does a decent job.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back