What happened?

Jmarolda779

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wednesday at somepoint the power was out in my neighborhood for a more than a minute while I was at work. I came home and saw that I had cloudy tank water, and saw that the filter pump (I had been using the stock pump thst came with the tank, the fluval evo 13.5), so I swapped it out for a similar pump that I had laying around. Did a quick water test,
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate >5
Ph 8.2, and my fish and inverts that were in there were all dead except my yellow watchmen. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused a mass death of my fish/inverts?

Thanks

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said that you "saw that the filter pump...". but you didn't finish your sentence. It broke? If the pump shuts off and there is no flow along the surface of the water, the tank may not have enough oxygen in the water to keep the fish alive for an afternoon. The water moving along the surface allows oxygen to enter the water and circulate.
There are battery air pumps that will automatically turn on when the power goes out for about $20 on amazon.

OP
OP
Jmarolda779

Jmarolda779

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said that you "saw that the filter pump...". but you didn't finish your sentence. It broke? If the pump shuts off and there is no flow along the surface of the water, the tank may not have enough oxygen in the water to keep the fish alive for an afternoon. The water moving along the surface allows oxygen to enter the water and circulate.
There are battery air pumps that will automatically turn on when the power goes out for about $20 on amazon.
Sorry about that. Yes it stopped working.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back